How to polish steel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to polish steel

Hi, before continuing with my questions, I'd like to take this moment to introduce myself. My name is Christian Castillo, my main interest is in metal polishing for old tool restoration and I am glad to be a new member of this message board. I look forward to learning from all of you and eventually being able to contribute here.

With that said, there is a saw restorer at the woodnet.net message board who restored this saw in the link:

WoodNet Forums: A little clean up on a Atkins REX No.69......

You can see the before and after in the post, the saw restorer also states, "...I will say I didn't use automotive buffing compound, power or hand tools, just my arm for power. The original grind marks can still be seen." He also states he didn't use any sandpaper. What method could possibly have been used to achieve the results seen without the use of any of the aforementioned methods to polish the saw plate ( 52rc High Carbon Steel ). I would ask him, but he wants to keep his method a secret, I know there is nothing new under the sun and that perhaps jewelers or metal finishers know of it. Thanks for the time taken to read my post.

Christian

Re: How to polish steel

I'll guess Never Dull or something like that. Clean off the tarnish but leave the war wounds.

Laters,
    Ken
    Once over dust, Twice over rust. ~USN

Comment

I know this is old, but unless the other guys method is part of his business and proprietary, i can't stand people who do this. Of that wont give you a recipe (Unless its a restaurant obviously). Share the wealthy share the knowledge whats the big deal? SO lame Childish in fact.

Comment

Working...
      X