• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Taylor Reed
    New User
    • Apr 2013

fine scratches when finished?

I have polished up two aluminum wheel lips however both have resulted in fine scratches on the metal when im done. I'm not sure if im not sanding enough or my drill isnt creating the rpm/heat i need to cut. my stages are 100, 120, 180, 220, 400, 600, 800, 1000, tripoli on a sewn wheel, and finally white polish on a loose cotton wheel. the piece looks great but looking closer it has a lot of fine scratches. not sure what im doing wrong though
  • Rasper
    Metal Finishing Guru
    • Aug 2006

Re: fine scratches when finished?

If you sanded each step thoroughly so as to remove the previous grit's sanding scratches, then your problem is almost certainly grit. As in dirt in the mix somewhere. A dirty buffing wheel can be the problem.

Usually sanding scratches left in the work show up as haze because they retain buffing compound.

I had the same type of problem on my sculpture work until I discovered that the microfiber cloth I was using in the final polishing step came from the factory with embedded grit. I now wash everything I use in hot soapy water before using it.

Richard

Comment

• Taylor Reed
      New User
      • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Rasper View Post
      If you sanded each step thoroughly so as to remove the previous grit's sanding scratches, then your problem is almost certainly grit. As in dirt in the mix somewhere. A dirty buffing wheel can be the problem.

Usually sanding scratches left in the work show up as haze because they retain buffing compound.

I had the same type of problem on my sculpture work until I discovered that the microfiber cloth I was using in the final polishing step came from the factory with embedded grit. I now wash everything I use in hot soapy water before using it.

Richard
      ah, i was using the same rag for each step to wipe down the wheel. most likely the dirty micro fiber just kept scratching it. is it better to dip the rag in soapy water before wiping the wheel down to get all the grit off after the wheel is wiped down? or use a different rag for each grit?

Comment

• Rasper
        Metal Finishing Guru
        • Aug 2006

Between sanding grits any old rag will do. Between the different buffing compounds I wash it well with acetone and a clean rag and then with hot soapy water. Rinse it off good and it is ready for the finer compound.

Try washing your buffing wheels in hot soapy water. I soak mine overnight, then scrub them with a wire brush, then spin them dry.

As a final step on aluminum I use a mildly abrasive liquid polish, such as Mothers, with a microfiber cloth, rubbing hard. That removes all of the micro-fine scratches that the buffing invariably leave in the work.

Richard

Comment

• Red Lehr
          New User
          • Dec 2012

Hello Richard, Have you ever tried a final polish called Nu Shine 2 ? It is made by the Nuvite Co. This polish is used by Boeing on aircraft and as a former Mothers user,I can tell you ,this stuff is the best I've tried.It's not cheap, but it is worth the money and it goes a long way.
          Red

Comment

• Rasper
            Metal Finishing Guru
            • Aug 2006

I have not used it yet. Thanks for the tip.

R

Comment

Working...
            X