No announcement yet.

removing buffing marks after coloring?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• removing buffing marks after coloring?

I am having trouble removing buffing pattern marks after mirror finishing large flat stainless sheets. Any suggestions?

Re: removing buffing marks after coloring?

Without seeing a photograph of the piece you are polishing I can only guess, but knowing stainless like I do, and knowing the most common problem polishers have, I will bet that what you have are sanding scratches left from incomplete sanding. You absolutely must remove all traces of sanding scratches from the previous grit before moving on to a finer paper. If you don't what you will have are nicely polished scratches.

Stainless is so hard to sand that most people stop about one third of the time they really need for each grit. You have to look closely to see those scratches. One way that helps is to sand at different angles if it is possible. That shows the previous scratches up better.

Unless the piece is very small—such as a pistol—hand sanding is not really an option. Stainless is hard and curiously gummy at the same time. It doesn't sand well, and it eats sandpaper at an uncomfortable rate, uncomfortable for the pocketbook.

A photo of your piece would help.

Richard

Comment

got a similar problem here but i know mine arent sanding scratches, its actually the silly lines the buffer wheel makes. im doiing some alloy wheel at this very minute and am crazed as i got the finish but see white ish marks left on teh surface from the wheel. whats the best liquid polish to get rid of these after finishing. Im in the uk though so need a polish i can buy here, please help, blokes pickin up the wheels tomorow and im getting so disheartened its making me angry.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ed-1copy-1.jpg

Comment

English Custom Polishing makes one called Museum Blend.

Richard

Comment

Working...
        X