Recommendations for buffing/polishing enamel lacquered parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations for buffing/polishing enamel lacquered parts

Hello everyone, first time post...and new at "buffing and polishing". and let me say....it's been a "baptism by fire"! -lol ain't as easy as it looks, right?!

Learning to buff cast aluminum parts. Caswell 's website has been a BLESSING (and this forum). Learned how to properly "cut" and "color" and so on. So THANK YOU- CASWELL PLATING~~~!!

I'm painting cast aluminum parts. -el cheapo stuff. actually knew the grade...but cant recall at this moment. Anyway.....priming and painting w/ Duplicolor enamel i got at NAPA.

My friend, who builds guitars, says I should probably apply 10 coats of clearcoat (also Duplicolor enamel clear) so i can buff and not "burn" through.

Here's my "set up".... 2amp "converted" grinder... I have a sisal, spiral sewn, and a loose cotton wheels....black emory, brwn. tripoli and white rouge. so i THINK i'm ready to go.

But.....where do I "start" with clearcoat? Spiral sewn and tripoli? Do I have to "cut" at all....or just "color"? Both? Any input would be VERY appreciated! Thank you!!

Re: Recommendations for buffing/polishing enamel lacquered parts

Paint is nowhere near as hard as metal. Tripoli will eat right through it. I would try an automotive rubbing compound on a soft flannel wheel at a low speed. And then a milder compound on the same wheel. (Wash the wheel first.) I use 3M Finesse It for that.

Richard

Comment

Richard is right polishing paint is completly different from metal polishing , you might get away by using the same polishing wheels and compound but i think caswell has some polishing kits just for paint .
      I hope your (converted grinder )has a variable speed ,if it is a grinder and not a sander then it is most probably spinning way too fast to buff paint,
      paint should be buffed at a much lower speed.
      also if you use a good quality clear with the right spray gun you will probably need two or three coats of clear.
      http://www.peintureenpoudrepb.com
      http://www.polissagepb.com
      http://www.powdercoatpb.com
      baz

Comment

baz and richard--- ok, thank you! i guess i'd better get some soft flannel wheels then. i just saw them in the caswell 'store'. baz---yes, mine is a grinder! 3450rpms.

but, i have a Variac...so i could run it on lower voltage to slow it down?? 1000 rpm perhaps? btw....do you mean just a regular auto compound....from turtle wax...or something like that?

i just search for the 3M finesse it. looks like some really good product--
        Last edited by blinddog; 02-02-2015, 10:00 PM.

Comment

You want automobile rubbing compound. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...VXYTAQ2DKXHPR3

Richard

Comment

okee dokee-- thanks richard

Comment

richard....you must really believe in 3m products? personal experience?

Comment

I think 3M makes first class products. Their sandpaper is the best. It's too expensive so I usually use other brands, but it is the best. And that Finesse-It is wonderful stuff for finished off painted metal.

Richard

Comment

excellent. good to know. i guess i'll stick with 3m stuff. local hardware store carries 3m sandpaper. i think it is a bit more than others now that i think about it. i ordered a good quantity of the Horse brand paper Caswell carries. hopefully that'll do the job. thanks for your advice Richard- you've been a big help!

Comment

Working...
                  X