Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

can the compound be melted and reformed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can the compound be melted and reformed?

i got a bunch of little chunks can i melt them down and reform them ? i know they are cheap enought to replace but i am in to saving a few bucks here and there..

if its the ones you got from home depot or lowes throw them in the garbage buy some of caswells 3 pound bars.

bill
    http://home.comcast.net/~jhodges87/wsb/index.html

Comment

you got it .... i was going to use them for my little dremel tool .. i am going to be putting another order in to caswell ... i wore out my buffs ... i been polishing every thing i can find ... it don't hurt to practice

Comment

these posts help a lot but your best result is going to be practice and develop your own way that works for you, everyone has their own way and with so many flavors of wheels and compounds everyone has the ones they prefer so just because someone here dosent like one dosent mean you wont. 90% of my work is done with spiral sewn wheels and black and white compounds.

bill
        http://home.comcast.net/~jhodges87/wsb/index.html

Comment

i am going to be putting another order in to caswell ... i wore out my buffs ... i been polishing every thing i can find ... it don't hurt to practice
          hehe, you sound like me. For some sick reason, I'm enjoying the hell out of all this polishing stuff. Even the PITA parts are kinda fun to do.

Once my Banshee is all back together, I'm wondering what I can polish next.

Comment

i been polishing every thing .... i am going to be doing my transmission next or may be my blaster or kx 250... but i need to get the car done for the spring

Comment

haha, your not polishing crazy until you actually contemplate on buying an old Delorean from the 80's to polish the entire body Thats still on my "Things I wanna do" list.

You can melt down your little chunks of compound and pour them into some kind of mold. Thats what I do, I use a coffe can and throw in all of the same kind of compound and then I heat it up with a portable stove. After everything is liquified I pour it into a wooden mold thats the same dimensions of the 3lb bars.

Comment

yea that is right they are alum.... i seen one sitting at the exxon staiton for 3 years i should go in and talk to them ..if it is going to sit it should look good sitting there right?

Comment

Stainless, not aluminum

Comment

that leaves that idea out ... i bite when it comes to stainless ... i need alot more practice before i try that

Comment

maybe in a year or 2 .....

Comment

If you polish steel just right it will look just like chrome.

Comment

true it will ... i polished a bunch of my steel car pars from under the hood .. now i got the problem of having them rust

Comment

Zoopseal

Comment

that is on my list .... i will be placing with caswell later this week

Comment

Working...
                              X