Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MOTORCYCLE POLISHING 101 CLASS IS IN SESSION!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thanks,i knew there had to be an EASY answer to my problem.
    is this the same kind of wax you can find at the automotive parts store
    for waxing your car?

Comment

Or you can use Mother's chrome polish (much easier on the finish). It DOES form a protective barrier on the surface.

Comment

How do you get the frame to look so much like chrome?? I just polished my first bike and the frame looks good but when light hits is directly it does not look as good. Also my chrome brackets are much shinier. Have I done something wrong? Or is it not possible to get the frame to look as good as the chrome pieces? I used Black Brown & White. I did not have much speed w/ my buffing as I only had a drill (1350 RPM). Will it make a difference if I use some air tools w/ 20000 RPM or so? Thanks...

Comment

CBzn3,
          I think you have to have a speed of at least 3200 at the wheel to get good results. Find the polishing tutorial on this site and it gives you rpm speeds coupled with different wheel diameter's. I bought a 2500 rpm drill, that coupled with a 6" wheel meets the minimum requirements for polishing. An 8" wheel would give quicker results for your speed drill but you are still only looking at turning 2600 on a 1300 rpm drill.
          You don't stop riding because you get old, you get old because you stop riding

Comment

http://www.caswellplating.com/buffs/buffman.htm

Look here CBZn3[/url] Scroll down to buffing speeds, it explains how to calculate polishing speed

Comment

Syco,
              My first attempt at polishing the gas tank on my bike wasn't too great. I tried using sanding discs on a drill, way too many swirls and some areas (concave surfaces) are quite difficult to get a 4" disc into. I don't think a palm sander will work on the concave surfaces either because it is flat also. Am I struck with doing it the older fashioned way (sanding completely by hand) before using the wheels/compounds?

Comment

is the tank steel or alumin?

Comment

Tank is steel but you've already set me straight from another post

Comment

Vowel

Is the 'Y' pronouced in "SYCO" a short or long vowel?

regards

Comment

ok i dont have a bench grinder nor do I have an air compressor. I think it is just overkill and heavy to buy a grinder to polish a motorcycle frame...so what kind of tool do you recommend to me? I have an 19v cordless drill but it only spins at 1350 rpm.....my motorcycle frame is made out of aluminum....what tool should i get? maybe an angle grinder? or how about those buffers you use to wax your car? any sugggestions?! thanks!

Comment

sealing the aluminum

Originally posted by shine
                        great post! what do yo use to seal the aluminum ?
                        I like to use minute wax by Turtle Wax spray on and wipe off! Better if used after hand Rubbing with Mothers (hand rub on the aluminum not your selves can be quite abrasive)

Comment

Originally posted by customandsound
                          is the tank steel or alumin?
                          The tank is steel

Comment

Originally posted by thekuai
                            ok i dont have a bench grinder nor do I have an air compressor. I think it is just overkill and heavy to buy a grinder to polish a motorcycle frame...so what kind of tool do you recommend to me? I have an 19v cordless drill but it only spins at 1350 rpm.....my motorcycle frame is made out of aluminum....what tool should i get? maybe an angle grinder? or how about those buffers you use to wax your car? any sugggestions?! thanks!
                            A uses to thick of wheel like wool is will clog fast, and if that buffer grabs that frame you will be hurting it is all about the speed of your wheels to fast an you will streak your aluminum or burn it to slow and it will be very dull

Comment

Originally posted by thekuai
                              A uses to thick of wheel like wool is will clog fast, and if that buffer grabs that frame you will be hurting it is all about the speed of your wheels to fast an you will streak your aluminum or burn it to slow and it will be very dull

Comment

Oven Cleaner Overspray

O.k, so I finally got motivated to polish my bike frame. But was lazy in the fact of masking areas that the cleaner should not have been able to get on. I now have areas on the frame that are not protected with anodize due to the cleaner and I can't get to in order to polish.... Any one have input on what to do on my course of action, because those areas are just plain ugly as hell now too........I'm thinking wire wheel on a DREMEL tool, bad or good idea? Anyone?

Comment

Working...
                                X