Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MOTORCYCLE POLISHING 101 CLASS IS IN SESSION!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oven Cleaner Overspray

O.k, so I finally got motivated to polish my bike frame. But was lazy in the fact of masking areas that the cleaner should not have been able to get on. I now have areas on the frame that are not protected with anodize due to the cleaner and I can't get to in order to polish.... Any one have input on what to do on my course of action, because those areas are just plain ugly as hell now too........I'm thinking wire wheel on a DREMEL tool, bad or good idea? Anyone?

Comment

Re: MOTORCYCLE POLISHING 101 CLASS IS IN SESSION!

Ha Ha very good. The only thing I would do different is use a 6" tightly stitched yellow treated buff with tripoli in place of the sisal with emory. But your system works well for you and that is all that counts. Although I think tequila and vicodin works much better for the final process.

Comment

I would recommend using the glare professional polish to seal in the finish. It is a two step process; the first coat is rubbed in until it disappears then the second coating is applied and allowed to dry to a haze then buffed out. It will provide up to 5 years of protection. It will not discolor from the heat generated by the motor.
        --
        Craige Brooks
        Caswell Inc
        http://www.caswellplating.com
        Need Support? Visit our online support section at http://support.caswellplating.com
        Have A Web Site?
        Why not join our affiliate program and earn 15% of all sales. Join at http://www.caswellplating.com/affiliate.htm

Comment

this is an excellent how to and keep referring back to it like every ten stinking minutes. Do you recommend the blue compound at all or just stop with the white.

Comment

Originally posted by shocktek View Post
            this is an excellent how to and keep referring back to it like every ten stinking minutes. Do you recommend the blue compound at all or just stop with the white.
            I only use blue for plastic. Usually stop with white for aluminum, green for stainless. Red after white will give it a blinding shine and it's good for fine metals like gold, silver, etc.

Comment

Hi guys that is really helpful because i am a complete novice would you mind answering a few questions for me bro, iv got a kit but it only contains 3 compounds will i get the same finish as you even though you used 4? i heard that rouge compound is for gold? anyway i also got 3 bags of grit abrasives do i need to use these? because im going to sand and wet flat? and finally will the 3 bars of compounds complete polishing 4 17" alloy wheels? thanks again your post was cool to read. Dave

Comment

boxertricks,

Originally posted by boxertricks View Post
                Hi guys that is really helpful because i am a complete novice would you mind answering a few questions for me bro, iv got a kit but it only contains 3 compounds will i get the same finish as you even though you used 4?
                Yes the three compounds that you want to use are Emory, Tripoli and White.
                i heard that rouge compound is for gold?
                What "rouge" compound are you talking about?
                anyway i also got 3 bags of grit abrasives do i need to use these? because im going to sand and wet flat?
                Are you talking about media blasting grit or greaseless?
                and finally will the 3 bars of compounds complete polishing 4 17" alloy wheels? thanks again your post was cool to read. Dave
                Three bars will be sufficient to do four 17" wheels. What condition are your wheels in now? Do they have any coating on them? If they don't have any scratches in then that your fingernail will catch on then you can just start polishing them. Start with Emory on a sewn buff.

John

Comment

cheers john

My kit has the equivalent to emery, tripoli and white (grey, green and blue) but im going to get some white anyway because iv heard its better for finishing.

there just called grit abrasive compounds-but i dont think i need to use these if im going to sand and wet flat from 100-1200 do i>?

im talking about red rouge should i use this compound somewhere in my polishing process?

even though im a begginer as long as i take my time and go it properly do you reckon ill get a mirror finish on the wheels?

no there quite rough theyv got paint on and some kurbing marks whats the best way to get rid off these before polishing?----sand them out?

thanks alot

dave

Comment

o yeah obviously im going to paint strip the wheels first and degrease them, cheers

Comment

boxertricks,

Strip the wheel and see what you have. The Emory polishing compound is about 400 grit so I wouldn't sand any further than that. The curb rash will have to be sanded out. If you have a fairly smooth surface after you strip, just start with the Emory on a sewn wheel and see what you get!
                      Just stick with the three compounds Emory, Tripoli, and White.

John

Comment

i thought i had to sand from 150-1000grit before i start polishing to get a really good finish> thats what this guy did on here and his ftame looks awesome??

So you reckon i should leave red out then??

cheers

Comment

i thought i had to sand from 150-1000grit before i start polishing to get a really good finish>
                          Why would you sand up to 1000 grit when the Emory compound is about 400 grit?
                          thats what this guy did on here and his ftame looks awesome??
                          If you want to waste your time and got backward "Go For It".

So you reckon i should leave red out then??
                          If you have a desire to use the red, try if with a Canton buff!

cheers

Comment

yeah i see what you mean mate, im going to go with what youv said because obviously your an experienced polisher, ill sand up to 400 grit, its just i thought by getting it really smooth id get a better finish but like youv said the polishing process starts from 400 grit.

I just thought that by using the red "rouge" compound it might give me a better finish but if you say 3 compounds will be enough then im going to go with that---do you reckon i should use white instead of blue?

have you got any tips on how ill definitly get a mirrored finish on my wheels?

is it essential that i get my tyres removed before i polish them? or can i work round them (i do want to do a really proffessional job)

and could you tell me what "diamond cut" polishing is?

thanks alot mate your a great help

Comment

o yeah about stripping the paint off my wheels have you got any idea about the best stripper to use?

could i use a heat gun?

whats the best rpm to go with on a drill when im polishing? iv got an old stanley one and thats about 2,200 rpm

should i use a palm grip or orbital? and what rpm? i think there mostly 10,000rpm?

thanks again mate

Comment

have you got any tips on how ill definitly get a mirrored finish on my wheels?

is it essential that i get my tyres removed before i polish them? or can i work round them (i do want to do a really proffessional job)

thanks alot mate your a great help
                                I'm only new in here and have a lot to learn also but when I polish only by hand I have always taken the tyres off mainly as its easier and lighter to move or spin the wheel around and you wont get any excess polish onto the tyres.

Just easier

Comment

Working...
                                X