Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MOTORCYCLE POLISHING 101 CLASS IS IN SESSION!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MOTORCYCLE POLISHING 101 CLASS IS IN SESSION!

You could go to 600 grit...it helps show up the scratches you've missed. Especially if you're doing it for yoursefl and have the extra time to do it.

Blue compound is very dry - I only use it for plastic; and red is not usually helpful except on fine metals like gold, etc., although I do use to to brighten yp chrome plating sometimes.

If you do your sanding properly the black and white are all you need really - you can try some brown tripoli in between them but usually it's not necessary.

You can mask off the tires if you really don't want to remove them.

The drill would work but might burn out the motor - stop if you smell "that" odor (you know the one). You could use greaseless on 4" cotton wheels with the drill, then continue using it to do the polishing.

Comment

boxertricks,

Diamond cut polishing is when they use diamond dust to polish with. I believe it would be to harsh for aluminum.

A good quality Aircraft Paint Stripper will take the paint off your rims unless they are BMW rims.

Use your Stanley drill motor, with a 3" or 4" buff and see what happens. You may also want to invest in some greaseless compound also.

Like I said if you don't have to sand don't sand.

Re-read MOTORCYCLE POLISHING 101 CLASS IS IN SESSION! there are a lot of tips in there.

Tire removal: If your going to seal the rims after you polish them what is the sealer going to do to the tires? I'd remove them, as stated the rims will be a lot easier to handle.

Sanding: depends on what the openings are in the rims as to what mechanical means that you can use to sand. If they are mostly rounded areas then I would use "flap wheels" to sand with. If you have to sand!

John

Comment

cheers guys

so i dont really need to use a palm or orbital sander on wheels? just go with a "flap whee" on my drill?

you guys are mentioning "greaseless compounds" but wouldnt i only use these before the polishing process if im not going to sand with paper?

i was looking on these forums and i might just polish the rims regulary instead of actually "sealing" them

thanks again guys

Comment

I am just new to polishing, I figure I should offer this service if I am powder coating and it gives an awesome look to candy colors. I have a an air buffer and a palm sander, and of course the compounds, is there anything else I need besides luck?
          sigpic

Jason Langhoff
          Deluxe Powder Coating
          Rawkstar Designs

Comment

can i just use a flap wheel to sand my wheels instead of using a palm sander?

i dont need to use greaseless abrasives if im sanding before polishing do i?

Comment

JROW,

Is it quicker and better to use greaseless compound than it is to sand then?

Comment

Originally posted by boxertricks View Post
                JROW,

Is it quicker and better to use greaseless compound than it is to sand then?
                There's no answer to that question. If I'm polishing a big flat sheet of aluminum, obviously a sander will work great. If I'm polishing a brake hub and my sander won't fit in certain areas, or leaves flat spots on curved surfaces, then I'm using the greaseless. Nothing is better or worse...it's using the right tool for the job at hand.

Comment

yeah thats true well i reckon sanding is going to work out better for me than using greaseless on the wheels because theres quite alot of kurb rash and scuff marks, i just hope they come out shining like a mirror

Comment

yeah thats true well i reckon sanding is going to work out better for me than using greaseless on the wheels because theres quite alot of kurb rash and scuff marks, i just hope they come out shining like a mirror
                    Sure they will, just take your time.

Comment

cheers mate thanks for all the advice when iv finished one ill post a pic so you can tell me what you think

Comment

iv notice by taking out my curb rash that iv had to take away quite abit of aluminium, because my wheels are an unusual shape does it really matter if the surface is uneven?-although its not noticeable

Comment

iv notice by taking out my curb rash that iv had to take away quite abit of aluminium, because my wheels are an unusual shape does it really matter if the surface is uneven?-although its not noticeable
                          If it's not noticeable and looks OK to you, what's the problem?

One caution...sometimes I opt not to remove some defects if it seems it would become a safety issue on things like wheels. Not saying it's the case with you, just a thought to keep in mind.

Comment

yeah true, my spokes are a curved shape and dints what iv took out have left flat marks on the curves should i just try and sand it back into a curved shape like you would with a shamfered edge on wood-im doing this with 40 grit because the dints and curb rash were quite deep, then im going to go to 80-120-300-400-620-800-920-1000-then im going to start polishing, hopefully when its shiny... it wont be too noticable, its just the other wheels might not need as much taking off so there may be a difference in appearance?

cheers

just thought id get some step-by-step advice while im doing them so i dont completely regret doing them lol

Comment

Iv just looked at the edge of my rims aand theres some small chunks missing through damage is there any way i can repair this? thanks

Comment

polishing as-cast aluminum wheels

Hi
                                I intend to polish 100 Alloy Wheels per day as following images:
                                (Image of the wheel after leaving the mould, and not machined), and I intend to polish the spokes only. The size of the wheel is 13x5"
                                what kind of polish do you suggest?
                                How long does it take for an experienced person to finish polish each wheel
                                Is it possible to apply a polyester powder coating on the spokes other polishing the spokes? How is adhesiveness?
                                What other king of coating do you suggest to prevent oxidation of the polish surface

Comment

Working...
                                X