Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MOTORCYCLE POLISHING 101 CLASS IS IN SESSION!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NautiShine
    started a topic MOTORCYCLE POLISHING 101 CLASS IS IN SESSION!

MOTORCYCLE POLISHING 101 CLASS IS IN SESSION!

Hey all.....This is a tutorial I put up a few months back on a motorcycle website when I polished motorcycle frames under the name SYCORACING (Yes, I'm SYCO)! Of course, now I've started a respectable company called NAUTISHINE! But I hope you enjoy this little tutorial.

*Beware, I think it does have some profanity*

Just wanted to put this little tutorial up for those of you who've always wanted to polish your own junk, but are to damned cheap to bring it to me..(cheap bastards!).

Anyway, class is in session, so shut the f*** up and maybe you'll learn something! BTW before I start, I'd like to say that this is the way SYCO does it...if you other polishing gurus have a better way, by all means jump in and constructively ADD to it, and don't criticize! Start your own damned polishing thread if you're gonna rag on me. Anyway, here goes!

First lets start with the tools you'll need.
    1)Orbital sander (NOT for the newbie!). These are very unforgiving and tend to remove too much if you're not careful.
    2)Palm Sander (your new best friend)
    3)Assorted Grit Sandpapers
    4)Pneumatic Polishing Tools (grinder,polisher)
    5)Assorted Polishing Wheels
    6)Assorted Polishing Compounds(emery,tripoli,rouge,white)
    7)Easy Off oven cleaner
    Assorted rags and towels
    9)Dishwashing detergent (not pictured)
    10)Safety equipment (goggles,mask,gloves,etc)
    11)Liquor...lots and lots of liquor!
    *Note:I use a bench grinder with the different wheels to polish the bike instead of the air tools, but thats because I'm strong and massive! HA!
    12)And of course, a compressor!

*Quick lesson: There are two portions of the frame. The tubular aluminum section (In layman's terms:the one by your knees while riding), and the cast aluminum section (the section under your ass while riding). The cast section is difficult to get smooth and shiny, so prepare yourself for battle!

Prepare the frame by removing all the stickers and **** and masking off any portion that won't get polished.

With that done, we'll begin by removing the anodizing from the tubular portion. This is the very hard protective coating that simply cannot be removed by sanding.For that you'll need the Easy Off oven cleaner.

Spray liberally on the frame, being mindful of overspray. This stuff is quite destructive to paint,plastics and other metals (polished or otherwise). When you finish, let it sit for about 20 minutes. Go have a drink....and when you come back, it should look like its been sitting next to the Titanic for 20 years. Don't panic (yet).

• rerod
    replied
    Re: MOTORCYCLE POLISHING 101 CLASS IS IN SESSION!

Bump to the top. Good info!

Leave a comment:

• IwantBling
    replied

There are pictures?

Leave a comment:

• blathrop1
    replied

All of the pictures for this guide seem to be corrupt Anyone else having this problem??

Leave a comment:

• jrow
    replied

Originally posted by boxertricks View Post
    Iv just looked at the edge of my rims aand theres some small chunks missing through damage is there any way i can repair this? thanks
    If you're going to polish them then about the only way to fix the 'chunks' is to TIG weld them. Then again you have got to figure the cost of the repairs versus the cost of another set of wheels!

then im going to go to 80-120-300-400-620-800-920-1000-then im going to start polishing
    Your wasting your time and money using all those different grits of paper. Match the finish to the surface to be polished to the grit of the sand paper. The Emory rouge is about 400 grit so you won't need to use any finer grit paper that 400 grit!
    Try using a flap wheel on your spokes to smooth them out. There fairly pliable and should contour to the spoke.

John

Leave a comment:

• alloywheel
    replied
    polishing as-cast aluminum wheels

Hi
    I intend to polish 100 Alloy Wheels per day as following images:
    (Image of the wheel after leaving the mould, and not machined), and I intend to polish the spokes only. The size of the wheel is 13x5"
    what kind of polish do you suggest?
    How long does it take for an experienced person to finish polish each wheel
    Is it possible to apply a polyester powder coating on the spokes other polishing the spokes? How is adhesiveness?
    What other king of coating do you suggest to prevent oxidation of the polish surface

Leave a comment:

• boxertricks
    replied

Iv just looked at the edge of my rims aand theres some small chunks missing through damage is there any way i can repair this? thanks

Leave a comment:

• boxertricks
    replied

yeah true, my spokes are a curved shape and dints what iv took out have left flat marks on the curves should i just try and sand it back into a curved shape like you would with a shamfered edge on wood-im doing this with 40 grit because the dints and curb rash were quite deep, then im going to go to 80-120-300-400-620-800-920-1000-then im going to start polishing, hopefully when its shiny... it wont be too noticable, its just the other wheels might not need as much taking off so there may be a difference in appearance?

cheers

just thought id get some step-by-step advice while im doing them so i dont completely regret doing them lol

Leave a comment:

• mpierich
    replied

iv notice by taking out my curb rash that iv had to take away quite abit of aluminium, because my wheels are an unusual shape does it really matter if the surface is uneven?-although its not noticeable
    If it's not noticeable and looks OK to you, what's the problem?

One caution...sometimes I opt not to remove some defects if it seems it would become a safety issue on things like wheels. Not saying it's the case with you, just a thought to keep in mind.

Leave a comment:

• boxertricks
    replied

iv notice by taking out my curb rash that iv had to take away quite abit of aluminium, because my wheels are an unusual shape does it really matter if the surface is uneven?-although its not noticeable

Leave a comment:

• boxertricks
    replied

cheers mate thanks for all the advice when iv finished one ill post a pic so you can tell me what you think

Leave a comment:

• mpierich
    replied

yeah thats true well i reckon sanding is going to work out better for me than using greaseless on the wheels because theres quite alot of kurb rash and scuff marks, i just hope they come out shining like a mirror
    Sure they will, just take your time.

Leave a comment:

• boxertricks
    replied

yeah thats true well i reckon sanding is going to work out better for me than using greaseless on the wheels because theres quite alot of kurb rash and scuff marks, i just hope they come out shining like a mirror

Leave a comment:

• mpierich
    replied

JROW,

Is it quicker and better to use greaseless compound than it is to sand then?
    There's no answer to that question. If I'm polishing a big flat sheet of aluminum, obviously a sander will work great. If I'm polishing a brake hub and my sander won't fit in certain areas, or leaves flat spots on curved surfaces, then I'm using the greaseless. Nothing is better or worse...it's using the right tool for the job at hand.

Leave a comment:

• boxertricks
    replied

JROW,

Is it quicker and better to use greaseless compound than it is to sand then?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X