Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need some help quick... I've searched the forums...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some help quick... I've searched the forums...

Hello Everyone,

I am very new to the polishing arena. I've searched the forums pretty extensively and am unable to come up with a definitive answer (instruction) to my delema.

I own a '99 Dodge Durango show vehicle and I am in desparate need of polishing to a mirror finish several pieces of the engine compartment.

These pieces are:

The alternator/ac condenser bracket
    The AC Condenser housing

and the...

Alternator housing.

I'd be lying if I told you what type of metal these pieces are made off because I don't know.

They are just the typical cast material that you find in most vehicles. I'm sure some of you are familiar with.

What I do know is that I have seen these exact pieces polished to a mirror finish... so I know that it can be done. Hundreds of dollars are needed to have this done by someone. I don't have the money.

I would be truely indebted to anyone that could please explain to me what is needed and to process involved (in detail) to get these pieces polished to a mirror finish.

You can take a look at my engine compartment at http://members.cardomain.com/tcalyen on page 4 at the bottom.

Please let me know ASAP... I have several shows in the comming weeks and I'd like to get this done pronto. I just have no idea on how to do it.

Thanks,

TCalYen
    TCalYen

Durango by UNIFIED CUSTOMS
    626 by UNIFIED CUSTOMS
    UNIFIED CUSTOMS!

First, let me say Nice truck. In order for you so polish those parts to the show quality that you want, you would probably need to buy some equiptment. Some decent results can be acheived with and ordinary bench grinder. The inside corners on those cast brackets will be a bear to polish. You are looking at lots of time with a die grinder and a dremel to get what you are looking for.

Comment

Thanks for the reply...

I'd still like to know how to do it... IE the process from wetsanding the cast parts up to the final finishing.

I want to purchase a bench grinder of some sort if someone would recommend what I should get.

Also, as for that bracket... and the other pieces for that matter... do you think it would be both less time consuming and less expensive to chrome plate them with one of caswell's kits.

I'd really rather polish them because I know that learning how to do it in the long run will save mucho money.

Please provide more input if possible.

Thanks,
      TCalYen
      TCalYen

626 by UNIFIED CUSTOMS
      UNIFIED CUSTOMS!

Comment

you don't want to use a rotary tool it will take to much time and way to many buff's ..... a goog bench grinder converted will work fine

Comment

If you want to know more about the polishing, go to the Caswell site and download the buffing/polishing manual. It's free and gives you a good idea and what you need to get to get started. Buying the chrome kit is a good idea and will save you money in the long run, but it is much more difficult than it sounds. If you need a quick turn around, this is not a good option for you. I have been trying to plate for 3 months now and I still have a long way to go. The good thing is, once you learn it and get it down, you can save a lot of money if you have a lot of things to plate. You might be able to do it as a sideline to make some extra money, but be prepared to have alot of patience and time.

Comment

Originally posted by customandsound
            you don't want to use a rotary tool it will take to much time and way to many buff's ..... a goog bench grinder converted will work fine
            OK... you're saying that the dremel with not be as effective as a bench grinder with modified fittings to get into the nooks and crannies right? Where can I get some fittings that will get into the nooks and crannies and/or how can I fabricate some

Thanks,
            TCalYen
            TCalYen

626 by UNIFIED CUSTOMS
            UNIFIED CUSTOMS!

Comment

Thanks for the replies... I read the manual...

Tell me if I'm right or wrong here.

I'm going to buy a bench top buffer... at least 6amps and able to handle 6" wheels. Any suggestions on what brand and model to get... I don't want to spend that much money on this. Are the following specs suitable

8" Electric Bench Grinder & Buffer
              Voltage: 110 Volt
              Frequency: 60 Hz
              No-Load: 3450 rpm
              Motor: 1 HP
              8.2 Amp
              1 Phase
              3/4" Arbor

I'll take the parts I want to polish, wet sand from 150 grit all the way up to 600 or so using some combination of "sanding solution" other than water. What kind of sander should I use for this step?

I'll get two or three (?) sisal 6"ers and some black compound (how much?) and go at it.

How do I know when to move onto the next step

Then I'll get two spiral 6" wheels and some brown compound (how much?) and go at it again...

Then I'll get two loose cotton 6" wheels and some rouge compound (how much?) and go at it again...

From here, what do you do? Just clean and seal with Zoop or something similar

Oh, and should I get 4" wheels or 6" wheels

And one last question... what do you all clean your pieces with inbetween steps

Thanks for all your help. If you could offer you input on this that'd be great! I can't wait to get started.

TCalYen
              TCalYen

626 by UNIFIED CUSTOMS
              UNIFIED CUSTOMS!

Comment

Bump...

Can anyone confirm and answer my latest questions... It'd be appreciated. I'd like to order the grinder, wheels, and compound ASAP because I have a bunch of shows coming up.

(See post before this one.)

Thanks,
                TCalYen
                TCalYen

626 by UNIFIED CUSTOMS
                UNIFIED CUSTOMS!

Comment

PLEASE HELP with QUESTIONS BELOW. I don't wantto buy the wrong supplies...

Thanks

Originally posted by TCalYen
                  Thanks for the replies... I read the manual...

Tell me if I'm right or wrong here.

I'm going to buy a bench top buffer... at least 6amps and able to handle 6" wheels. Any suggestions on what brand and model to get... I don't want to spend that much money on this. Are the following specs suitable

8" Electric Bench Grinder & Buffer
                  Voltage: 110 Volt
                  Frequency: 60 Hz
                  No-Load: 3450 rpm
                  Motor: 1 HP
                  8.2 Amp
                  1 Phase
                  3/4" Arbor

I'll take the parts I want to polish, wet sand from 150 grit all the way up to 600 or so using some combination of "sanding solution" other than water. What kind of sander should I use for this step?

I'll get two or three (?) sisal 6"ers and some black compound (how much?) and go at it.

Then I'll get two spiral 6" wheels and some brown compound (how much?) and go at it again...

Then I'll get two loose cotton 6" wheels and some rouge compound (how much?) and go at it again...

From here, what do you do? Just clean and seal with Zoop or something similar

Oh, and should I get 4" wheels or 6" wheels

And one last question... what do you all clean your pieces with inbetween steps

Thanks for all your help. If you could offer you input on this that'd be great! I can't wait to get started.

TCalYen
                  TCalYen

626 by UNIFIED CUSTOMS
                  UNIFIED CUSTOMS!

Comment

Working...
                  X