Questions about buffers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about buffers

Hello all. I'm a 50 y/o newbie here that is restoring a 1974 Kawasaki Z1A (KZ900) motorcycle. Needless to say, with all the money I've spent and am going to spend on this project I need to save a few bucks here and there.
    I was directed to this site by another member of the bike forum I belong to. My questions pertain to what buffing machine I will need to accomplish my goals with this scooter.
    I have a Delta 6" bench grinder that is 1/4 hp; 3450 rpm; with a 1/2 inch spindle. Is it worthwhile for me to convert this to a buffing machine? Are longer spindles available for this type of set-up and are they difficult to implement?
    Secondly, Sears has a "dedicated" bench buffer for $149.99. It is 3/4 hp; 3450 rpm; and a 5/8" spindle. Should I go ahead and buy the Sears?
    Of course I'd love to buy a Caswell buffer but finances won't permit it at this time. I WILL be using Caswell buffing products though.
    I've already had the frame powdercoated, but there are MANY more pieces to get shining. Any and all replies will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks. Jim

I've owned a Delta 1/4 HP bench grinder and it was the first machine I actually ever used to polish with. In hindsight, if I knew then what I know now I would have never messed with it. I can do projects in about 1/3 of the time with my 2HP Caswell buffer with more superior results than I could with the Delta. My 2 cents: get the Sears model. Save yourself ALOT of time and headaches.

More HP=being able to use bigger wheels=more RPM's=more bling
    "Some people are like sandpaper: they may delight in the misery they inflict by rubbing up against you, but in the end you will come out smooth and polished while they'll just be ugly, wrinkled, and used up." - Beyonce Knowles

Comment

Many Thanks for your reply and advice. It's funny that I just sat down at the computer to order the Sears machine, but checked my email first and saw the reply from you. Perhaps by the time it comes in I will have the garage re-arranged so that I'll have plenty of room to work.
      Again, Thanks. Jim

Comment

Working...
      X