Polishing Stainless Steel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polishing Stainless Steel

I am polishing some stainless steel "nose cones." These are used to cover controls on ice cream machines. These have a reddish coating due to heat treating. The manufacturing process leaves some lines on one side that have to be removed.

Am currently using a satin wheel to remove lines and coating followed by a medium buff using red compound to remove the satin lines followed by green compound for shine.

This is taking a long time and we're not getting very good results. Am wondering if a sisel wheel would be better than satin. Stainless steel is very hard and think there should be a better way to work with it.

Thanks!!

practice makes perfect...... when i started i polished every thing i could fine from tin to plastic and there is a combo that will work with all and some jobs take longer than others and so forth

Comment

Mboyd, you are correct, stainless steel is very hard, need the sisal wheel. I found this out when I tried polishing a gas tank on my motorcycle. All of your anxiety will go away with just a few passes on the sisal, trust me
      You don't stop riding because you get old, you get old because you stop riding

Comment

I believe Caswells sells a fast cutting stainless compound, and definitely use a sisal.

here is a link to that page

http://www.caswellplating.com/buffs/compound4.html

Comment

Working...
        X