motorcycle polishing questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• motorcycle polishing questions

back again with more questions---Polishing motorcycle frame!!
    went out and got some sandpaper---started out high (300) as to not do more sanding than needed---not getting down far enough in areas, so i went down to (220)--i used palm sander and did some areas by hand--
    still doesn't seem to be coarse enough cause i can still see some portions of white residue on frame---
    Is it typical to start at 120 or 180 on frame--i am talking about portion by knees---NOT the cast area??!!
    Do I need to use a hard-brush to scrape off the residue from the oven cleaner?? could this possibly help with this white residue that i am not reaching with the 220
    could it be the oven cleaner (brand of oven cleaner??), as i did not use EASY OFF, but rather a cheaper form --this was done BEFORE i found this forum!!!!
    can or should i use AIRCRAFT stripper?? a couple people have replied and told me to use this---so i picked up some TUFF-JOB STRIPPER made by BIX------after reading everything on the can,,,,i found that it is harmful to asphalt, plastic, rubber tile, linoleum and ANODIZED ALUMINUM So, instead of using and possibly messin up more---i tried the sanding as stated above---
    i am thinking of picking up some 120 or 180 tomorrow,,,but i don't want to go this low if i don't necessarily have to----i do think this would work in getting down to the white residue,, but i wonder about the scratches and if this is going backwards since there are no deep gashes or gouges in the frame (2001 yamaha R1)-----just don't want to keep going backwards--so let me know what ya boys think---------ALSO---one last question::
    I was wondering (and have not seen any posts regarding this) when you are polishing frame or swingarm HOW do you polish one side and then flip it over to do the other side WITHOUT messin up what you just did on the previous side---have not gotten there yet,, but just thinkin ahead---i know how touchy it will be and don't know if having towels laid down will be enough-seems like anything would leave tiny scratches? what to do??
    thanks for the help guys!!!

About the cast area.....

Before I read this forum, I took a very used 36 grit sander to the whole frame. While now I suggest not doing it, It sure took care of all the deep scratches, the anodize, and anything else might have been on there. So, if you are good at sanding, and know you wont gouge that edge into the surface, you could use like 80 to 100, and I bet it would take it down just fine. I used a high speed air sander.
    About your swing arm.....Unless you plan on never riding this, and storing it for show, I would not worry too much about the tiny scratches...If you are anything like me and ride alot..You are bound to pick up road ****/rocks/etc...onto that swingarm. I would say just be careful, try to prevent as much as you can, but, your rides will be worse on it.
    Hope this helps. I learned all I know from this forum.
    Rub a dub duv, a' polishin' with luv

Comment

Re: motorcycle polishing questions

Originally posted by shaybirde
      still doesn't seem to be coarse enough cause i can still see some portions of white residue on frame---
      Is it typical to start at 120 or 180 on frame--Do I need to use a hard-brush to scrape off the residue from the oven cleaner?? could this possibly help with this white residue that i am not reaching with the 220
      could it be the oven cleaner (brand of oven cleaner??), as i did not use EASY OFF, but rather a cheaper form --can or should i use AIRCRAFT stripper?? ,,,i found that it is harmful to ANODIZED ALUMINUM So, instead of using and possibly messin up more---i tried the sanding as stated above---
      i am thinking of picking up some 120 or 180 tomorrow,,,but i don't want to go this low if i don't necessarily have to----ALSO---one last question::
      I was wondering (and have not seen any posts regarding this) when you are polishing frame or swingarm HOW do you polish one side and then flip it over to do the other side WITHOUT messin up what you just did on the previous side--
      My guess is the residue is anodize residue. the less sanding you have to do the better. i would try easy off or caswells anodize stripper again and see if that helps. as for the stripper you have that says it will hurt anodize that is not a bad thing. keep in mind that means it would attack or dissolve the ano(like eagle 1 does to painted or cleared wheels), that is what you want. but to be safe i would try it on the inside of the rails to be safe. as for grit i have had some parts that were badly dinged and had to go as low as 80 grit, for a smooth frame rail i would think if you get all the ano off it should be fine to start with something in the 200 range for grit.
      fizlfry said: Unless you plan on never riding this, and storing it for show, I would not worry too much about the tiny scratches...If you are anything like me and ride alot..You are bound to pick up road poop/rocks/etc...onto that swingarm.
      i fully agree if you are going to ride this bike you have to compromise and decide when it is good enough for a rider. if its show go for the best posible job but riding bike will get scratched and dinged. as for the flipping over i use an old bathroom rug it is very soft and i can lay my pieces on it without worry. i am not doing a frame but principal is the same. also if possible try to hang it
      when in doubt polish it out/ why replace it when you can refinish it
      G2 Polishing and Powdercoating

Comment

Hey, I actually bought the Caswell Anodize stipper for 50 bucks...and all it is is SODIUM HYDROXIDE...go to ebay and search for it. For about 4 dollar plus shipping you can get like 3 times the amount. BE CAREFUL with it!!! It's super corrosive!
        WWW.DSMETALPROJECTS.COM

Polishing and Motocycle customization

Comment

Working...
        X