Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Polishing Harley Cylinder heads and jugs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polishing Harley Cylinder heads and jugs?

Howdy all, I'm about to start polishing a set of cast cylinder heads off of a sportster..I removed all of the powdercoating, but how can you get between the fins. I want to polishe THE WHOLE thing...not just the tips of all of the fins. If anyone has an answer please let me know!
    WWW.DSMETALPROJECTS.COM

Polishing and Motocycle customization

that is going to be extremely difficult, but not impossible. start off with cartridge rolls or cratex wheels. you will have to search for them as caswells does not sell them yet. they come in many shapes and sizes and used w/ a dremel. this will get the smoothing done. as for shine most of your polishing will be done whith loose wheels. order some just for that job as you will use loose w/ black, brown, as well as white so the buff can get between the fins. it is a lot slower this way but works. or try to find real narrow sewn and sisal wheels. i just remembered that there is a knife making company out of oklahoma that sell thin buffs. try internet search for knife building supplies. it starts with a j. all i can say here i dont want to anger the host. as always best of luck and post pics so we can all see bro.
    when in doubt polish it out/ why replace it when you can refinish it
    G2 Polishing and Powdercoating

Comment

Thanks for the reply!...I know that the "e******* company" sells razor buffs that come in treated and un-treated sisal...I didn't think that anyone made any rolls smaller that like 1/2 inch in diameter?? Anyways...thanks again! I really appreciate it!
      WWW.DSMETALPROJECTS.COM

Comment

Originally posted by rides20
        Thanks for the reply!...I know that the "e******* company" sells razor buffs that come in treated and un-treated sisal...I didn't think that anyone made any rolls smaller that like 1/2 inch in diameter?? Anyways...thanks again! I really appreciate it!
        You might be able to rework the rolls down to the size you need, but it is gonna take a _lot_ of them. Maybe a set of Dremel stones with a longish shaft would be better. Also, you could use the setup wheel glue/abrasives to make custom grinders from small felt bobs or whatever.

Good luck, this wil be quite an accomplishment if you get it done. If it were me I would glass bead them, polish the edges and call it a day, lol.

Comment

What our web site this week for our new cartridge rolls.
          --
          Mike Caswell
          Caswell Inc
          http://www.caswellplating.com
          Need Support? Visit our online support section at http://support.caswellplating.com

Comment

fantastic, thanks for listening caswell. now for the cratex
            when in doubt polish it out/ why replace it when you can refinish it
            G2 Polishing and Powdercoating

Comment

I use one of these whenever I'm working on an area that has tight radii or sharp edges that need to maintain a square or flat profile. You can also relax with this tool a little bit and not worry about getting a wavy surface (very easily) from using round bits on an area that is long and flat.

Hope that helps.

-Rob-
              Link was removed please read terms of use!! thank you.
              "Some people are like sandpaper: they may delight in the misery they inflict by rubbing up against you, but in the end you will come out smooth and polished while they'll just be ugly, wrinkled, and used up." - Beyonce Knowles

Comment

[quote="thesound"]I use one of these whenever I'm working on an area that has tight radii or sharp edges that need to maintain a square or flat profile. You can also relax with this tool a little bit and not worry about getting a wavy surface (very easily) from using round bits on an area that is long and flat.
                quote]

Yeah, they work well for tight spots. I found an intriguing (new to me) tool at Sears - they have a 10 mm (and a 25 mm, I think) air-powered, handheld mini belt sander. Looks like it has interesting possibilities.

Comment

Originally posted by caswell
                  Thanks, about time!

Comment

I actually do have one of those "contour sanders" from dremel, and I find it usefull for the outer edges ofweld beads.....but those little drums you put over the rubber pieces suck!!
                    WWW.DSMETALPROJECTS.COM

Comment

Little drums? Did you click the link I posted? This isn't the die grinder version of the Dremel that you're thinking of, it's a whole other tool that is basically a vibrating sander. This tool doesn't use sanding drums, it uses different "heads" of various shapes that are interchangeable depending on the shape of the surface you're working with, and there are special length bands of sandpaper in either 80 or 120 grit that slip around the heads like a sheath.
                      "Some people are like sandpaper: they may delight in the misery they inflict by rubbing up against you, but in the end you will come out smooth and polished while they'll just be ugly, wrinkled, and used up." - Beyonce Knowles

Comment

that's what i meant....."Drum-SHAPED" tubes that fit over the contours...I just bought it at sears hardware to 70 bucks....It's identical to the picture..
                        WWW.DSMETALPROJECTS.COM

Comment

What happened to the cartridge rolls?

Comment

They're coming...we've been very busy shipping out you folk's orders.
                            --
                            Mike Caswell
                            Caswell Inc
                            http://www.caswellplating.com
                            Need Support? Visit our online support section at http://support.caswellplating.com

Comment

They're coming...we've been very busy shipping out you folk's orders.
                              Haha, well glad you're doing so well - you better hire more help...when you get them on the website you'll get a lot more orders I'm sure.

Comment

Working...
                              X