What blasting media?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What blasting media?

Was thinking of getting a small sandblaster so I can remove the paint from sportbike wheels. Can anybody tell me what media to use? Would I need to use glass beads or would the walnut shells do the trick (don't want to etch the base metal at all).

Also, anybody have one of those cheap siphon blasters ? Are they worth the trouble?

Thanks.
    Last edited by customandsound; 08-24-2005, 11:58 PM.

from what i know, glass is the mildest media. as for the blaster i would also be interested in any comments on that, i am also looking to get a small cabinet. i only need to be able to do a 21" motorcycle rim at largest.
    when in doubt polish it out/ why replace it when you can refinish it
    G2 Polishing and Powdercoating

Comment

Originally posted by pickleboy
      from what i know, glass is the mildest media. as for the blaster i would also be interested in any comments on that, i am also looking to get a small cabinet. i only need to be able to do a 21" motorcycle rim at largest.
      The one from HF just has a hopper, and a hose and gun and it's only $40 or so. I figure I can just set a cardboard box on top of it and reclaim the media.

Comment

not a bad idea. i did some checking and found glass bead averages 50 micron for grit(roughly 240-320 range) so it should be the least aggressive by far.
        when in doubt polish it out/ why replace it when you can refinish it
        G2 Polishing and Powdercoating

Comment

i use glass bead . the tip is when you use it is to shot it at a lower psi.

But for you first blast you can it it iwth oxide then swich over to the bead to give you a smooth semi gloss surface then for the sport bike wheels i glass bead at 80ps1 then i lower the pressure to 60 and hit the knocks where the baskets meet the lip . and then i putt out the greasseless and go to town on the basket to smooth out as much as i cn the for the knocks i use a facer in them areas ...

i did my ninja wheels just to powder them cause i did not want o clean them every few days ..

Comment

Thanx guys - I'll prolly just keep sanding thru the paint (see my "tip" post) but good to have this info for cleaning up other stuff.

Comment

Re: What blasting media?

If you use baking soda in your media blaster there is no need to use sand paper this will leave a bright finish with out sanding and will not harm the piece you are working on
              due to high heat sand can actualy burn items if you are not careful also sand or bead blasting can leave a dull or gray finish on the item that needs to be polished out before plating
              I use soda on everything it works great with very little time at the polisher afterwards
              Jim Eaton

Comment

Jim,

I have been reading about Media Blasters, and am curious about what type of system you are using. I have seen soda specific blasting set ups which are pretty high priced for the average hobbiest. What pressure are you using and what nozzle size? Do you need a lot of CFM for this type blasting?

John

Comment

John I hope this helps
                  Air pressure can be varied from 20psi on soft surfaces to 120psi on harder surfaces.

The following list compares the blast nozzle size to the compressor CFM requirements

Nozzle H.P. Compressor

# 3- 3/16" 10 H.P. 45 CFM

# 4- 1/4" 20 H.P. 80 CFM

# 5- 5/16" 30 H.P. 140 CFM

# 6- 3/8" 50 H.P. 200 CFM

# 7- 7/16" 60 H.P. 255 CFM

# 8- 1/2" 75 H.P. 350 CFM

I use a portable system on lone from a family member but I have found this same system for aprox $250.00 . Larger models about $1800.00 My compressor is also a loner from family it is a 200 CFM unit
                  Last edited by jimcarry; 08-24-2005, 02:23 PM.
                  Jim Eaton

Comment

Black Beauty fine will take the paint right off. That soda is fine for Pro's but costly for the hobbist. but the soda is the the safest for you and you can hose it down the drain.

Comment

Just another opinion, but if you can mask off the area you don't want removed, you can get a paint stripper at wal-mart that works good. The stripper is close to the glue section around the paint department. Be careful cause it will burn your skin. The stripper comes in a spray or a brush on, I like the spray.
                      www.chrome-plater.blogspot.com

Comment

Just another opinion, but you can get a paint stripper at wal-mart in the glue section of the paint department. It comes in a brush on or spray, I like the spray, and be careful cause it will burn your skin even if it is just a mist. It says it works in 5 min. on some things it does but some things it takes longer.
                        Sorry I thought I hit the wrong key, and deleted the first reply.
                        Last edited by fly; 08-25-2005, 02:06 AM.
                        www.chrome-plater.blogspot.com

Comment

Chuck is right when he says that soda can be more expensive and there are a lot of ways to prep a project but I had not seen soda blasting mentioned on this site so I wanted to bring it to the table after all some people might be able to spend the money both the blaster and the compressor that I use are loners but like I said I found this same soda blaster new for $250.00
                          Jim Eaton

Comment

Jim,

Thanks for the answer. Those are awful big compressors for that average home hobbiest. Is there another way to go?

John

Comment

well John
                              with sand bead or glass blasting you dont have to use such a large copressor but you will spend more time sanding and polishing if you would like you can call me
                              Jim Eaton

Comment

Working...
                              X