X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choosing the right wheel

Motor 4" 6" 8" 10"
    3/4 hp 4.5" 3.5" 2.5" 2"

in choosing the right wheel section of "an introduction of Buffing and Polishing", what is that chart trying to show me ? I only have a 3/4 hp motor so only posted the 3/4 hp motor results. I'm using 8" wheels so I'm curious what the 2.5" represents. The chart also has other hp ratings, but in general what is that chart telling me ? Hate to sound stupid on my first post, but just curious. Thanks in advance to anyone who responds. I'll post pics of my set up once I get home.

http://www.caswellplating.com/buffs/buffman.htm
    3/4 HP W-3/4"x 2-5/16" shafts @ 3450 RPMs
    Running 8" wheels, putting down the shine..

It's not very clear. I believe it to be the width you can run the wheels by stacking. If someone knows for sure, they can enlighten us both.

Comment

Frankly I don't know _what_ that chart is all about. What I pay more attention to is the formula: (1/2R)(rpm)=fpm. IOW, take half the radius of your wheel, multiply by your motor rpm's to get feet per minute that the face of the wheel is travelling. I believe you want that to be about 5,000 to 7,000 fpm.

It's a tradeoff. I have an old 1.5 hp motor I use at 3600 rpm. An 8" wheel is perfect, providing 7200 fpm. I tried a 10" to get the face speed up, but the extra leverage makes my motor bog down. So although I get more speed, I lose the ability to put pressure (and heat) on the work. A newer motor of the same hp might work better in my case.

Comment

Makes sence looking at it formula wise. now to do the math. 3450 x 4 ? is way more than 7,000 and I think the radius is ~4" ? I don't have one yet, so all's I need are some wheels boys, and I'll be a buffin kind'a dude.

Comment

It's gotta be 3450(RPMs) x 2.5(in the chart for 8" wheels) for 8625 FPM ? I'm over !

Comment

go with the 8" to start out that will give you about 6900 sfm. that is a good place to start. if the motor can handle these wheels and you need more speed and pressure then move up to the 10 " this will give you 8625 sfm and that is still ok. the buff manual says up to 7500 but i have my rig running at about 9000 sfm and it rocks. the first thing to consider is what material are you working on. some metals work better at faster speeds and some get to hot and distort or discolor if buffed to fast. give us a little more info and we can get you going in the right direction
            when in doubt polish it out/ why replace it when you can refinish it
            G2 Polishing and Powdercoating

Comment

I'll be doing a lot of aluminum, but there will be some stainless pieces thrown in there. First off the engine compartment gets done first. working my way back to and including gas tank straps. If it unbolts, it gets polished. LOL. Nothing but car parts right now will be on my buffer. or just as soon as I get some wheels. Been waiting now for 4 weeks and I'm sure the UPS man will have boxes for me soon. 3/4 HP motor with 8" wheels to start. After I get a feel for what happens with 8" wheels I'll go from there. Mostly Aluminum parts thou.....

Comment

Working...
              X