Wheel out of balance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel out of balance

How do you balance a bad vibrating wheel ? I took off my loose wheel and my vibration went away. Replaced it and my buffer dances all over the floor. Can this be fixed, or do I toss the bad wheel ?

I was thinking, do they sell knives, or 2 handle razor to trim loose strands of cotton from wheel, or flatten the polishing surface area of a 2 " wheel ?

Thanks in advance...
    3/4 HP W-3/4"x 2-5/16" shafts @ 3450 RPMs
    Running 8" wheels, putting down the shine..

Hmmm. Are you sure the hole is centered and any sleeves you need are in there? Measure from the center hole out to the edges and see if it's the same all 'round.

If the wheel is that much out, you could try hanging it from a piece of wire like a clothes hanger. Spin it a number of times and mark the bottom each tim it stops - this might tell you what part is heaviest. Then maybe trim it with scissors...

Comment

It's a 3/4" shaft and the hole is 3/4" with no bushings or sleeves. There isn't much of any slop between wheel and shaft. and you can not move the wheel on the shaft by moving one way or another (up & down). Maybe just a bad wheel ?

Comment

if nothing is obviously wrong with it try to rake the heck out of it. it could be compound residue imbedded in the wheel that is throwing it out of round. if racking doesnt bring it back true, pitch it. wheels are not to expensive, but i hate to scrap one if it can be saved.
        best of luck
        when in doubt polish it out/ why replace it when you can refinish it
        G2 Polishing and Powdercoating

Comment

the hole is out of round .. toss the pad do not use the machine if it is dancing you and cause more problems then it is worth..

i had a buffer start to dance and it grabbed the part out of my hand and damaged the machine and the part.. not safe.

that is one reason i am not polishing as much as i did any more

Comment

The hole was out of round. Being out of balance enlarged the hole ? I used some 3/4" arbor adaptors I got from HF, and this fixed the problem. When I put the wheel on there it was tight getting on shaft. After pulling wheel to verify, is when I found this out. Thanks you guys !!! Running smooth again...

Comment

I need to dig up a pic of my machine and mangled part from the out of round wheel..

Comment

Working...
              X