I think I'm gonna try greaseless! But I need some info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I'm gonna try greaseless! But I need some info

Alright...I've been putting it off, but the time has come and I need to start a set of cast harley cylinders......Instead of destroying my fingertips (again) by trying to sand between all of those fins, I'm going to try greaseless...but since I've never used it, I could really use your guys' help!...Any info on it is great!!!!! Thanks...Dave
    www.dsmetalprojects.com
    WWW.DSMETALPROJECTS.COM

Polishing and Motocycle customization

the greaseless is great if you can find wheels thin enough to fit between the fins(i haven't) i settled for polished fin edges on my harley. as for the use there is lots of threads here on application of the greaseless to the wheel, but it basically says to turn the wheel slowley and charge with the stick. if the wheel is on your buffing machine try using a electric or air drill to spin the shaft or try to turn the machine on and back off right away then load the wheel during spindown. my biggest success has been greaseless on felt bobs in a die grinder and dremel. best of luck bro.
    when in doubt polish it out/ why replace it when you can refinish it
    G2 Polishing and Powdercoating

Comment

I think the greaseless will get dragged right off the wheel, even if you find one that'll fit in there. Worn-down cartridge rolls might do the trick, or like the man says, felt bobs w/greasless or set-up wheel gunk.

Comment

with the greaseless take it slow it will remove alot of metal in a quick time.. once your done with the greaseless hit is with 600 grit to smooth it out then got right to black on a sprial then white on a sprial and you will be done ...

good luck
        chuck

Comment

Post edited due to violation of the Terms of Use
          http://www.caswellplating.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=1482
          This is a forum for caswell so please keep the other companies name out .
          customandsound
          WWW.DSMETALPROJECTS.COM

Polishing and Motocycle customization

Comment

Felt bobs and greaseless

I tried some of the 80 grit greaseless stuff. I was told t was very agessive. I have a Daldor 3/4hp I bought new. I tried this 80 grit and it really didn't do jack. So much for it " QUICKLY removes rough casted finish and parting lines.etc" Why is this stuff advertised as very aggressive and it isn't? Also I am looking for a supplier of SMALL felt bobs for Harley engine case polishing. I have all the tools needed,only need the bobs and hopefully some "greaseless" compound that actually works with the bobs.Thanks for any help some one can offer

Comment

Mutt :
              If you got a problem with one of caswell's product please contact them..

If you used the product the way it was to be used you would of got a better result...

And you are looking for a supplier of felt bob's:

THIS SITE IF BROUGHT TO YOU BY CASWELL

Please read :
              http://www.caswellplating.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=1482

Comment

Re: Felt bobs and greaseless

Originally posted by Mutt
                I tried some of the 80 grit greaseless stuff. I was told t was very agessive. I have a Daldor 3/4hp I bought new. I tried this 80 grit and it really didn't do jack. So much for it " QUICKLY removes rough casted finish and parting lines.etc" Why is this stuff advertised as very aggressive and it isn't? Also I am looking for a supplier of SMALL felt bobs for Harley engine case polishing. I have all the tools needed,only need the bobs and hopefully some "greaseless" compound that actually works with the bobs.Thanks for any help some one can offer
                Heh, I hate to say it but the greaseless is sometimes highly overrated for material removal.

After having the same experience as you back when, I have found it is useful as an "in-between" step. In other words, if I need to use 80-grit cartridge roll or setup wheel or sandpaper to smooth a casting, I will often use the 80-grit greaseless on the 8"wheel to remove the marks from the other media.

However, I will say that it is great if the metal is on the soft side and you have a lot of scratches to get out AND can get access to the area with a wheel. Haven't had a lot of luck yet using it on felt bobs; but hey, try it.

And I have used other brands of greaseless...none ofthem work better than what you describe..

Comment

Working...
                X