Removal of unknown coating on aluminum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removal of unknown coating on aluminum

I'm trying to remove a unknown coating on a piece of cast aluminum. I have tried buffing it off, a couple of chemicals from paint stripper to a lye. The only way I have even dented it was with a wire (course) brush on a drill, and it was winning, but I did at least scratch it. I was told it was a teflon coating, then after I questioned this I was then told it was a ceramic plasma coating ?

The coating is very thin, I would say smaller than the thickness of paper, it will crumble when hit or pliers is used on it, it flakes off in very small pieces, it's a black coating and is porous, looks smooth but is porous. I plan on polishing to a high luster and anodizing, the pores are collecting a finish off of a material run around them. This is a work at home project, any help on what I'm dealing with, and how to remove it would be appreciated. Where they coated the aluminum there is a green almost paint like around the edges of the black coating I'm trying to remove.

Thanks, Clint

Yes that is a ceramic coating it is a micro dyne product
    this coating is extremely hard and highly abrasive resistance this is a product of of the makers of chomex. to remove you will need to use a heavy duty stripper or have it blasted i will research this a little for you.. I never had to remove the produt i always spray it on and cure...

Comment

Originally posted by customandsound
      Yes that is a ceramic coating it is a micro dyne product
      this coating is extremely hard and highly abrasive resistance this is a product of of the makers of chomex. to remove you will need to use a heavy duty stripper or have it blasted i will research this a little for you.. I never had to remove the produt i always spray it on and cure...
      Thanks you very much. I'm a gun nut by nature, and whatever this coating is would seem to work perfect in the gun world of aluminum parts also.

If I can get this coating off I still have a lot of work ahead of me, I have never anodized before, but I have a power supply and plenty of spare parts to work with. There will be a dead drag on the material around these aluminum parts, imagine a circle split into 3 parts and a thread type yarn running at 2400 rpm around these parts to make a circle, so what the problem is the thread type material has a type of "wax" on it and it fills these pores on the now black coated surface and cause the thread to stick and very hard to pull off, ballooning it out causing problems on down the line. I will try a satin, and also a buffed anodized finish to see if I can solve the problem.

I may run into the same problem as with the original coating and the pores fill up with the wax on the satin finish, and the high polish area maybe have to much drag also (surface area fighting against wax build up in pores), the fun of experimenting.

Clint

Comment

they sell a coating for firearms.... Good luck Now back to powder coating i go

Comment

Re: Removal of unknown coating on aluminum

Originally posted by customandsound
          I never had to remove the produt i always spray it on and cure...
          I got a beat blast cabinet, makes fast work of this ceramic coating, so the removal parts is easy enough, thanks

One more question, in case the anodizing does not work, where do you get this ceramic coating at ? I looked all over Caswell's but didn't see it

Thanks, Clint

Comment

Caswell's

Below is a link to the product.
            Tech-Line Coatings Exhaust System Coatings Internal Engine Coatings Assembly & Gear Lubricants Specialty Coatings Engine Oil Additives

Comment

If you can't find it on there site email them and they can give you alittle more info... Chromex cermachrome

Comment

Working...
              X