Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prepping stainless part for polishing

Hello,

I have a stainless steel part that has numerous tool marks on it. It also has semi-intricate details. I would prefer the detailed section not be sanded away, but also prefer to not spend too much time on this.

Is there an easy way to sand this to remove tool marks (in preparation for buffing)? Or am I looking forward to various grades of sandpaper and a lot of labour? Is a greaseless compound going to blend/remove a lot of the detailed areas?

Thanks,

Here is an image of the part (the raised fleur de lis is 2 mm above):

Dan Bajwa
    Kingston, Ontario

my best suggestion is this, since i just finished alot of s.s. trim. i would use a sisal wheel and the fast cut s.s. bar or the extra fast cut s.s. bar. they are specialty bars that caswell offers and they are much better for s.s. than just emory. if this removes the scratches then you are good try it on a small area first and see if the tool marks go away. if not then start sanding at 320-400 grit. work up to at least 600 wet sanding then go back to the sisal. then finish with emory on spiral then white bar(high color) for stainless.. best of luck bro.
    when in doubt polish it out/ why replace it when you can refinish it
    G2 Polishing and Powdercoating

Comment

Thanks, I'll give that a try...
      Dan Bajwa
      Kingston, Ontario

Comment

Working...
      X