aluminum problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aluminum problems

i am polishing aluminum motorcycle parts. the problem i am having is that i am getting streaks all in one direction if i would turn the part in another direction then it would streak in that direction. any suggestions?
    MCF ANODIZING
    [email protected]

Re: aluminum problems

Originally posted by mcf74
    i am polishing aluminum motorcycle parts. the problem i am having is that i am getting streaks all in one direction if i would turn the part in another direction then it would streak in that direction. any suggestions?
    If you have a mirror shine, then what you are seeing I believe is the grain in the aluminum. My experience is that it won't come out.

John

Comment

If the streaks change direction according to the direction your working it is not the grain of the material.

What compound are you using? What are you using to buff with? (wheel - spiral or loose, bob, drill, bench buffer) Could be a compound, pressure, or RPM problem.

Comment

Here's a little time-saver of a tip, which makes clean-up much easier. When you draw the buff wheel against the direction of its rotation you will see a trail of compound. This is a cutting stroke. A polishing stroke goes with the rotation of the wheel and leaves polish only on the leading edge once you stop. This is a polishing or coloring stroke. So we begin with a cutting stroke and finish with a polishing stroke, which removes 90% of the polish for us.
        Jim Eaton

Comment

i am using a 10 inch loose cotton wheel with brown compound. ive tried all different methods that people suggest and i get the same results . also if it helps my buffer runs at 2000 RPM.
          MCF ANODIZING
          [email protected]

Comment

With out seeing the piece I would have to say that you are having an RPM problem
            you should go with around 3500 rpms to be able to apply the proper pressure to the piece
            http://www.caswellplating.com/buffs/buffman.htm ( be sure to read their online ? The complete buffing and polishing booklet ?) its free and very informative
            Jim Eaton

Comment

Like Jim said, the RPM's are a little slow. But I've done parts with a B&D drill, some are in the album, and you can't get anymore RPM challenged than that. More than likely its your stroke. Like Jim said you need to use both the cut stroke and the polish stroke in the opposite direction. Alot of the guys have complained about problems with the brown on aluminum. I have only had some problems with it on a few grades of aluminum. All of which were of unknown grade. Most of the guys say they go with black, then white and skip the brown. If your working the part both directions and still having problems, you might try going to one of the othe compounds and see what happens. Best of luck. Let us know what works for you. SS

Comment

Originally posted by mcf74
                Are you sure it's not just excess compound? Sometimes it's really hard to get off. What are you cleaning with between steps?

Comment

Working...
                X