Pics for grill trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pics for grill trouble

I'm finally getting around to posting pics for that grill I've been having trouble with.

I've attached them here cause I can't get them to display in the body of the message.

These 2 photos are the front of the grill with the 'chevrolet' lettering. This was sanded and polished with emery. I don't recall the exact circumstances. One of the photos is a closeup to show you the irregular spots here. It may just not be sanded enough there, but I was trying to be gentle because of the lettering.

The one titled CIMG2244 is one of the top rails. It did better, but the streaking is from a combination of the rag I used to clean with (now using 100% flannel) and the white compound on a loose. Seems like anything other than spiral scratches or leaves a haze.

Any thoughts on a) what this metal is, and b) why the streaks?
    Attached Files

Re: Pics for grill trouble

Could only attach 2 pics, here's the third, #2244.

I also had some success this week using the stainless steel green compound on a spiral wheel with this piece. Seemed to take out much of the whiteness - only on the rail where it was sanded very well with the circular, but I don't have a pic of it. However, blue on a flannel wheel made a mess of it again. On the other hand, I tested blue ON an actual stainless steel part and it works fine, removes some fine white haze left from the green. Heck, I've polished my eyeglasses and acrylic windows with blue and it works great, but I don't know what's up with this piece that it seems to defy all laws or nature.....
    Attached Files

Comment

I gaffed and forgot to upload this one.

This is a closeup of the letter C. We sanded the letters but as you can see some of the black paint and silver (paint or anodizing) is still in there. I think it gets picked up in the wheel when I buff too and could be causing problems.

Does anyone know if the silver is paint or anodized by looking? And, how can I get this off without spending $20 on paint remover and $20 on anodize remvorer. I read on the forum here to use over cleaner but my oven cleaner says not to use on aluminum.
      Attached Files

Comment

Here we go,

I was able to dip out and get some new photos. This is the top rail of the grill.

In the first photo you can see just emery on the left, and emery and green on the right (both spiral) and the nice dividing line down the middle.

The second pic is the all emery and green treated area in "just the right light." Anything looks good in the right light
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by kromalum
          And, how can I get this off without spending $20 on paint remover and $20 on anodize remvorer. I read on the forum here to use over cleaner but my oven cleaner says not to use on aluminum.
          first off all oven cleaner says not to use on aluminum. it will work just dont leave it on to long. second let me say as someone with a full year of polishing on a regular basis that this job is very good, the micro scratches you are sweating are a fact of aluminum. the only way around this is to do a final polish with a flannel rag or chamois and flitz polish. as for removing the paint/ano from the letter recesses that i can think of is to find a set of cratex points and run them in a dremel or drill. they come in many shapes and grits so look for an assortment. lastly remember we are all our worst critics. as i said the job is progressing fine. best of luck and keep up the good work.
          when in doubt polish it out/ why replace it when you can refinish it
          G2 Polishing and Powdercoating

Comment

Hey pb,

Thanks for the compliment. I'm definitely a critic of all the work I do. I mainly just didn't want to clearcoat this thing before it was 'perfect.' I may try a liquid abrasive before the flitz. I think flitz has a protectant in it correct? This one I'm going to clearcoat. I guess I could always use the flitz for the fine abrasive and clean the protectant off before coating it. I really wish I had an overn big enough to powder coat this grill with clear.

One question though, do you think I should try white on a spiral seeing as how I've been having good luck with spirals and lousy with loose? I'll need to order another wheel just so I don't contaminate them, but it would be worth it provided it is the right step.

Thanks for all the help too....

Comment

well at this point it cant hurt to try. i have used them with success before. some others swear by the white on spiral.
              when in doubt polish it out/ why replace it when you can refinish it
              G2 Polishing and Powdercoating

Comment

Originally posted by kromalum
                I guess I could always use the flitz for the fine abrasive and clean the protectant off before coating it. I really wish I had an overn big enough to powder coat this grill with clear...
                Flitz has no abrasive - knowing that I assume the action is purely chemical. I use it for my final hand polish and it works great for that.

You can get lamps to use in place of the oven.

Comment

Working...
                X