Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any one have good way to clean that pesky grease after polishing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any one have good way to clean that pesky grease after polishing?

Well, I use caswells polishing wheels and their polishing solution and it makes this rrrreeaaallly anoyingly hard to get off grease, any one have any easy way to remove it, right now I use alot of elbow grease a little rubbing alcohol but that dosnt work to well for me,

I have tried:

pure bleech
    sp degreaser
    rubbing alcohol
    orange cleaner
    hot water
    boiling water

nothing works well

Thanks,

Eric

Re: Any one have good way to clean that pesky grease after polishing?

Try washing them in warm water with "Dawn" soap..

Comment

i have tried alot of stuff as you have. the 2 best things i have found are aerosol brake clean and M.E.K. either of these will just melt the compound right off. for the really packed in areas i use an old soft tooth brush and the same cleaners with a light brushing and they are fine. best of luck bro. keep in mind the M.E.K. is pretty nasty stuff so be sure to use all the necessary protective gear when handling it.
      when in doubt polish it out/ why replace it when you can refinish it
      G2 Polishing and Powdercoating

Comment

I use acetone or lacquer thinner, dissolves it right off.

(Hey pickle, you be careful with that MEK stuff, OK?)

Comment

my main concern with the mek is reproductive damage is possible, but since i have all the kids i ever want it is no issue. back in the early 80's in the military we used to use it with nothing more than a dust mask. maybe that is why my son is so weird. but seriously that stuff is very nasty so i have heavy rubber gloves and a full cartridge respirator when i use it now. i mostly use the brakecleaner since i get it for a song thru the day job.
          when in doubt polish it out/ why replace it when you can refinish it
          G2 Polishing and Powdercoating

Comment

I am not sure of the compound that you use, but I like to use SUPER CLEAN, you can get it a local walmart in the automotive section, in a purple bottle. I like to use it full strength. It will turn your aluminum dark but will still plate after you finish rinsing.
            www.chrome-plater.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by pickleboy
              my main concern with the mek is reproductive damage is possible, but since i have all the kids i ever want it is no issue. back in the early 80's in the military we used to use it with nothing more than a dust mask. maybe that is why my son is so weird. but seriously that stuff is very nasty so i have heavy rubber gloves and a full cartridge respirator when i use it now. i mostly use the brakecleaner since i get it for a song thru the day job.
              Haha! Well I'm done reproducin' so maybe I should have a snort every morning. Seriously, it is pretty damn explosive from what I've read - I got mine (for working fiberglass) in the mail and it was packed in sawdust...

Comment

simplegreen works ok, but brake cleaner is the stuff!
                WWW.DSMETALPROJECTS.COM

Polishing and Motocycle customization

Comment

Well i'm glade he ask that question, because I was going to ask the same thing. I'll have to be a little more carefull though, since i'm talking about knives, rather than wheels.

Comment

Working...
                  X