• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • newbie310
    New User
    • Jan 2006

C2" Copper Pipe

Newbie here. I am using 2"Copper pipes for desk legs. I sanded these pipes to remove stamping from manufacturer.... now I have lost the warm sheen (coating?) that the pipes had. The result is not the warm and bright Copper that I had envisioned, but a much lighter tone. Polish has no effect. How can I regain the warm bighteness of the copper coating?
  • mpierich
    Metal Finishing Guru
    • Aug 2004

Re: C2" Copper Pipe

Originally posted by newbie310
    Newbie here. I am using 2"Copper pipes for desk legs. I sanded these pipes to remove stamping from manufacturer.... now I have lost the warm sheen (coating?) that the pipes had. The result is not the warm and bright Copper that I had envisioned, but a much lighter tone. Polish has no effect. How can I regain the warm bighteness of the copper coating?
    You're using some pretty vague descriptions there. Apparently you polished the copper and now it's too bright for you. If so, either let it stand outside for a few months, or there is probably a chemical treatment to pickle it to an oxidized surface.

Comment

• jrow
      Experienced Metal Finisher
      • Jul 2005

newbie310,

You polish them with a buffing wheels and different buffing compounds. Then you clearcoat them to keep them from tarnishing!

If they have scratches in them then you will have to sand them with progressively finer sandpaper and then buff. Start with 320 grit wet and dry paper, and then go finer.

Copper is soft so I'd start with an airway or sewn buff and some tripoli. Then finish with a loose buff and some white compound.

If you don't have a buffing machine you can use an electric drill motor and 4" buffs.

John

Comment

• newbie310
        New User
        • Jan 2006

Sorry to be vague, I don't know the correct terminology. The copper piping you would purchase at a plumbing supply store is a warmer color,(burnished?) whereas my sanding and polish has left it a lighter color.
        Do you know what chemical I can get to treat it?

Comment

• mpierich
          Metal Finishing Guru
          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by jrow
          newbie310,

You polish them with a buffing wheels and different buffing compounds. Then you clearcoat them to keep them from tarnishing!

If they have scratches in them then you will have to sand them with progressively finer sandpaper and then buff. Start with 320 grit wet and dry paper, and then go finer.

Copper is soft so I'd start with an airway or sewn buff and some tripoli. Then finish with a loose buff and some white compound.

If you don't have a buffing machine you can use an electric drill motor and 4" buffs.

John
          He doesn't want them polished...he wants them un-polished.

Comment

• mpierich
            Metal Finishing Guru
            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by newbie310
            Sorry to be vague, I don't know the correct terminology. The copper piping you would purchase at a plumbing supply store is a warmer color,(burnished?) whereas my sanding and polish has left it a lighter color.
            Do you know what chemical I can get to treat it?
            As I have time I'll do a little googling...you can do the same. If I find anything I'll post it here for you.

Comment

• mpierich
              Metal Finishing Guru
              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by mpierich
              As I have time I'll do a little googling...you can do the same. If I find anything I'll post it here for you.
              Here you go - looks like this might do the trick for you:

Edit: Caswell Inc. sell these products at http://www.caswellplating.com/kits/metal.htm
              Last edited by mcaswell; 01-21-2006, 09:02 PM.

Comment

• newbie310
                New User
                • Jan 2006

Thanks alot. This seems perfect. Appreciate all the help!

Comment

Working...
                X