Questions about Spiral buffing wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about Spiral buffing wheels

How long does the spiral buffing wheels last and how do I know it's time to replace? also I have been using a hacksaw blade as a rake does a real rake work better? and has any one used the Whte Liquid Rouge does it help to keep the fine wheel marks down? and what do you use to protect your alum. I thought about zoop seal but its expensive and I don't want to clear.

Thanks ed

Re: Questions about Spiral buffing wheels

I use the spiral buffs until they are too small to be effective.
    I used a rough saws all blade for a while. The real rakes are much better and easier to use.
    The White Liquid Rouge works good but it is quite a bit messier. I normally use the white bar. What works for one person doesn't always work for another.
    I anodize most of the parts I do or PC clear. I use to liquid clear everything. If you don't want to clear or constantly keep up with the finish, then the Zoop seal is the best way to go.
    SS

Comment

ditto on what sswee said about finish. you have only a few choices, after polish, to keep the shine looking good. when i started about a yaer ago i did the aluminum on my harley. i didnt finish it with clear powder or zoop. it took about 3 months and it was hard to tell i did anything. the polished alum. need something to seal it or it will oxidize fast. i recommend the zoop if you dont have a powder setup, or an anodize kit.also in some cases the powdercoat will actually dull the polish finish when cured, due to the heat. so zoop is worth the money in the long run. just my 2 cents, or is it 2 sense, i cant remember
      when in doubt polish it out/ why replace it when you can refinish it
      G2 Polishing and Powdercoating

Comment

kxed,

You can also use a Clear Spray for bare metal to finish your aluminum. It's not quite as expensive as Zoop seal. I like it better!

John

Comment

Im afraid that the clear will yellow or peel or dull the shine of the alum. what prep is needed the spray the clear

Comment

Originally posted by sswee
            I use the spiral buffs until they are too small to be effective.
            so if I have a 10" wheel how small can it go and still be effective?

Comment

Effectiveness of a wheel depends on the machine it is on. The RPM X circumference = FPM. On my machines I use 6" wheels down to about 4" then set them aside to be used on hand tools. If your wheels start out at 10", you should be able go down to just below 6" or so. You should be able to tell when it's not working as well as it was. I just keep extra wheels on hand so I don't get caught waiting for new ones to arrive. after you do it awhile, you'll get the feel for it.
              Prep for clearing is the same as any paint. you just want it as clean as possible.
              SS

Comment

You can also use a good quality marine wax to keep the shine. But you will have to apply it more often.

Comment

Working...
                X