Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greasless compound with used wheels?

Hi Guys,

I've polished a set of aluminum wheels before using caswell products with good results aswell as a powersteering reservoir and some other things and becoming slowly addicted. I clearcoated them aswell and still look great a year later after daily driving! my next project is my cast aluminum intake manifold on my fuel injected car. To try and speed up the process a little bit this time, and to keep the round surface uniform, i've decided to give greasless compounds a shot and sand up to 1500 grit like I did on my other projects. I have plenty of extra spiral sewn wheels left over that are still in good shape which I did not use fully due to contamination in initial trials. for instance, I have at least two spiral sewns (I'll only be using my new loose cottons and white compound for this) which have black compound on them from before. Is it possible for me to re-use this buff and loading it up with greasless without any ill effects? of course I know to use one wheel for one compound but this won't be used for black anymore and might aswell be thrown out if it's not of use. Can I use wheels which have buffing compound on them for greasless without causing any problems?

Thanks, Steve

Re: Greasless compound with used wheels?

Originally posted by Tire_Shredder
    Hi Guys,

I've polished a set of aluminum wheels before using caswell products with good results aswell as a powersteering reservoir and some other things and becoming slowly addicted. I clearcoated them aswell and still look great a year later after daily driving! my next project is my cast aluminum intake manifold on my fuel injected car. To try and speed up the process a little bit this time, and to keep the round surface uniform, i've decided to give greasless compounds a shot and sand up to 1500 grit like I did on my other projects. I have plenty of extra spiral sewn wheels left over that are still in good shape which I did not use fully due to contamination in initial trials. for instance, I have at least two spiral sewns (I'll only be using my new loose cottons and white compound for this) which have black compound on them from before. Is it possible for me to re-use this buff and loading it up with greasless without any ill effects? of course I know to use one wheel for one compound but this won't be used for black anymore and might aswell be thrown out if it's not of use. Can I use wheels which have buffing compound on them for greasless without causing any problems?

Thanks, Steve
    Only problem I see is possibly the greaseless won't stick to the wheel as well. Rake the hell out of the wheel first. Or possibly trim the outer surface with shears, but I wouldn't think that would be necessary.

Comment

Re: Greasless compound with used wheels?

as mpierich said it should be fine. i have done just that before. i had some old 6" wheels that were run to about 4.5", no good for the motor anymore, i use them on my electric hand grinder with greaseless and it is fine. like mike said you will need to rake them clean.
      when in doubt polish it out/ why replace it when you can refinish it
      G2 Polishing and Powdercoating

Comment

Working...
      X