No announcement yet.

Need help polishing my wheels: PLEASE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Need help polishing my wheels: PLEASE!

thanks for both those links... there was a lot of good information on there. after applying Flitz towards the end, i am planning to clear coat the wheels with VHT spray clear. zoopseal is too expensive and powder coating is out of the question for me on wheels. but anyways, if i clear the polished wheels, how do i maintain them? i obviously can't polish them with the clear on there, rigth? do i just maintain them using soap and water? maybe even wax on the clear?

Comment

i have not used the vht but can assume that like any paint it should be maintained by washing with a mild dish soap and wax with a good quality wax.
      when in doubt polish it out/ why replace it when you can refinish it
      G2 Polishing and Powdercoating

Comment

Originally posted by EazyM3
        thanks for both those links... there was a lot of good information on there. after applying Flitz towards the end, i am planning to clear coat the wheels with VHT spray clear. zoopseal is too expensive and powder coating is out of the question for me on wheels. but anyways, if i clear the polished wheels, how do i maintain them? i obviously can't polish them with the clear on there, rigth? do i just maintain them using soap and water? maybe even wax on the clear?
        Careful. I use Flitz as a final hand rub, but I do believe that it leaves a small amount of wax behind - so clean it well before you apply anything.

Comment

well, right after i was done with the black compound, i sprayed Easy Off (oven cleaner) all over the first wheel thinking it would clean up the residue compound before i went to white. well, the thing ended up messing up my aluminum rim and seaping into the metal. any way i clean that stuff off? i was able to polish it out, but on parts of the rim where i want it bare, i can't get the spotting out...

Last edited by sswee; 02-13-2006, 12:19 AM.

Comment

do you have access to a blast cabinet? if so you can fully mask off the polished parts with a good quality duct tape and glass bead the areas that are spotted. this should bring back the original satin finish. also as you found out easy off is not for cleaning the aluminum it should be used for removing anodizing. the best i have found is spray brake cleaner available from any auto parts store.

Comment

It's good that you're "taking the bull by the horns" and just going for it!...The wheels look great. Especially for a first timer! Keep on doing what you're doing..we all make mistakes, and that's why we're all here. Keep up the good work, and most important...keep asking questions, it's how we ALL learn!
              WWW.DSMETALPROJECTS.COM

Polishing and Motocycle customization

Comment

thanks for the brake cleaner tip. the brake cleaner didn't really work on the Easy Off damage but it worked great for cleaning up the rims. i ended up wet sanding the damaged areas with 600 grit and got most of the spotting off. then i put on some white gloves and used the brake cleaner to clean off all the rims.

then on Sunday morning (today is Monday), i used VHT clear coat (the made specifically for wheels) on all the rims. i misted the first 2 clear coats like the instructions said, and applied 3 other coats 10 minutes later like the instructions said.

the problem i have now is that the clear coat dulled the shine and has a texture to it. after some research, i found out that i should let the paint cure for 7 days and then use rubbing compound to buff the texture clear coat off. DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THAT WILL WORK i'm kind of skeptical. autozone sells the "Turtle" rubbing compound... is that good enough? or should i pay more for the 3M stuff online?

Comment

It's like painting a car - usually the clearcoat needs to be color-sanded after it cures (unless you're an excellent painter and don't have any orangepeel).

When I've painted cars, I've used 800 or 1000-grit _wet_ paper to get rid of the orangepeel, followed by 1500 then 2000 wet for a high gloss.

You might get it with rubbing compound if it's not too deeply textured. BUT, whatever you use be very careful on the high spots - it's real easy to sand right thru the coating.

Comment

Originally posted by mpierich
                    It's like painting a car - usually the clearcoat needs to be color-sanded after it cures (unless you're an excellent painter and don't have any orangepeel).

When I've painted cars, I've used 800 or 1000-grit _wet_ paper to get rid of the orangepeel, followed by 1500 then 2000 wet for a high gloss.

You might get it with rubbing compound if it's not too deeply textured. BUT, whatever you use be very careful on the high spots - it's real easy to sand right thru the coating.
                    yeah, no painting experience, so i'm pretty scared to cut through the clear coat. i'll try the 1000 grit, 1500, and then 2000. how much pressure do i apply sanding by hand? should i use soap and water? i applied about 3 or 4 coats on there, so is that enough to sand? do just sand back and forth?

also, how will i know when the paint cures? do i really have to wait 7 days like it says in the back of the can?

Comment

Wait for it to cure first!..If it isnt done, wet sanding wont help you. It'll just get kinda sticky. Start with the 2000 first, jost so you can get comfortable with it. Avoid the edges of the spokes and other high spots because it is not all that hard to go through! Just be careful, take your time, and check often!...Apply only a tiny amount of pressure, or just use the weight of your fingers.
                      WWW.DSMETALPROJECTS.COM

Comment

Originally posted by EazyM3
                        yeah, no painting experience, so i'm pretty scared to cut through the clear coat. i'll try the 1000 grit, 1500, and then 2000. how much pressure do i apply sanding by hand? should i use soap and water? i applied about 3 or 4 coats on there, so is that enough to sand? do just sand back and forth?

also, how will i know when the paint cures? do i really have to wait 7 days like it says in the back of the can?
                        I'd wait a month if you can. Keep it in a warm place. Use a lttle detergent. Light pressure. Go in one direction.

Comment

Originally posted by mpierich
                          I'd wait a month if you can. Keep it in a warm place. Use a lttle detergent. Light pressure. Go in one direction.
                          if you cant wait that long then you can try to force cure it in the oven on the lowest setting for about an hour. if you use the house oven then you will need to run the self clean cycle after to cook off any residue.

Comment

Originally posted by pickleboy
                            if you cant wait that long then you can try to force cure it in the oven on the lowest setting for about an hour. if you use the house oven then you will need to run the self clean cycle after to cook off any residue.
                            Pickle if you have a wife she must be a saint, lol...

Could use a heat lamp or forced hot air too, but since he has no experience didn't want to confuse things. The product docs should tell him all this (but might have to dig for it).

Comment

so i should wait a month?! no wait, cook it in my oven?! LOL, you guys crack me up....

Comment

It's delicious with butter!...Garnish with rosemary..HAHAHAHAH
                                WWW.DSMETALPROJECTS.COM

Comment

Working...
                                X