X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cantex
    replied
    Re: 3" air polisher

thanks, without any glaring negative responses i decided to give it a try.

Leave a comment:

• jrow
    replied

cantex,

On the flat stock that I polish I use a 6" DA, I start with about 220 Grit and finish up with 400 grit and then polish. If I have a lot of profile on the piece I'm polishing I will use a die grinder and cartridge rolls and then greaseless, then wet sand and buff. I also have a bench mounted disc/belt sander that comes in real handy!

The 3" discs would be great for getting into small areas. The 3050 kit has a pretty high RPM so you will have to watch that real close. It will eat aluminum real quick!

John

Leave a comment:

• mpierich
    replied

I don't see any advantage over my $20 air drill. I've never had it (or the mini die grinder) bog down at all unless the air gets in short supply, but I use the electric stuff more since my compressor ain't the biggest. It's real good to have both tho - in case one burns up you have a backup.

I use a flex shaft & 1/3 hp motor for slow stuff, backed up by the air drill. My air grinder took a dump the other night so for high speed I have the electric die grinder.

Leave a comment:

• pickleboy
    replied

Originally posted by lowpsi
    My short experience with metal polishing, and I do mean short, has taught me that air tools, at least the ones I've used, have very high RPM, but offer no real power. The seem to bog down very easily and don't offer much cutting action. After wrestling with my project for a few day I switched to an electric angle grinder with a 6" and 4" buff and have had good luck. However the angle grinder does have a very high RPM, and can pull you in (bit) if your not careful.

I am just speaking from my quick learning experience.
    lowpsi your not such a newbie anymore, giving good advise. air grinders will work with alight touch but take a lot of air to run. i use both air and electric tools at times but more often than not i reach for the electric stuff, but i have a light duty compressor.

Leave a comment:

• lowpsi
    replied

My short experience with metal polishing, and I do mean short, has taught me that air tools, at least the ones I've used, have very high RPM, but offer no real power. The seem to bog down very easily and don't offer much cutting action. After wrestling with my project for a few day I switched to an electric angle grinder with a 6" and 4" buff and have had good luck. However the angle grinder does have a very high RPM, and can pull you in (bit) if your not careful.

I am just speaking from my quick learning experience.

Leave a comment:

• cantex
    started a topic 3" air polisher

3" air polisher

has anyone ever tried those micro polishers. i am doing mostly motorcycle parts, and think it would be perfect.

lets hear the pros and cons....

http://www.mytoolstore.com/astro/astdig05.html
Working...
X