sswee.....or anyone else......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sswee.....or anyone else......

Just wondering what steps you take in polishing a aluminum sportbike frame?
    www.chrome-plater.blogspot.com

Re: sswee.....or anyone else......

Depends on the shape of the frame. If it's decent to good shape, start with 400 to 600 grit and only go coarser in an area warrants it. Shaping or smoothing welds usually takes 80 to 100 grit. Deep scratches or gouges are 180 to 220 grit. Finish out 320 to 600 grit wet. The sanding if done right, cuts down on buffing and eliminates the majority of waviness in a polished part. A few other tools like a die grinder with scotch bright pads or cartridge rolls sometimes help but are not totally necessary to do the job. Everyone has something that works best for them. Pickleboy and mpierich have been at it awhile and can give a better step by step. They also use more of an assortment of supplies than I do.
    SS

Comment

Yea, I have my own way but I was wondering if there was a better way out their or just a easier way. MY polishing frames is starting to grow and I need the best way to complete the job.....

Comment

The more time you spend sanding, the less time you will actually have to polish...you wont have to kill the part with heat to get the shine out. I wet sand typically to 1000 or 1500 grit. It seems overkill, but when you go that fine, you can see any rought scratches that need to come out...it's better to find them when you're still in the sanding stages rather than have everything all nice and washed up ready for polishing!...just my $.02..also, I dont know why my avitar shows me as a "newbie"...I guess I have to spend more time on the computer than I do polishing.....go figure....
        WWW.DSMETALPROJECTS.COM

Polishing and Motocycle customization

Comment

Yea I do the opposite I only use the course and med. 3M disk and then black vent, and white loose... and that works for me cause I just can't make myself to all that sanding...... I did a 05 gsxr 1000 frame in 8hrs. and that was at a idle gear so maybe that is pretty good for a days work but I would rather stick to the plating part. I have 4 bikes scheduled on the 16 and I need all the short cuts I can get, but I want to keep the quality along the quanity.. so if you think of any ideas please feel free to share.

Comment

Sorry but I forgot to say that your polishing looks top grade so you must be doing somthing right "nebie" ha ha just joking. When you sand do you use any kind of machine or is it all hand sanding?

Comment

HAHAHH...all by hand...ahahahah... No way man! You know just as well as I do that I would have no fingers left! I use a 5 inch electric DA sander up to 600 grit (P600 that is!)..then I hit it by hand with P600 wet and go by hand up from there just to make sure I have all the "hair" marks out from the DA...what do you guys use for dust collection?? Rumor has it that Aluminum dust has been linked to Alshiemers (spelling?)...And fly...thanks for the compliment!I just noticed that I'm now "Amateur Metal finisher"hahahahahahahahah I guess 50 posts makes me instantly better!
              Last edited by rides20; 02-10-2006, 03:36 PM.
              WWW.DSMETALPROJECTS.COM

Comment

Fly,

I use a DA and an assortment of different diameter/grit 'flap discs'. You can also use greaseless with the right sized buffs!

John

Comment

Keep posting and you might be somebody, I don't have a DA sander could you post a picture so I can see what you have, I might need to get one. HOw long does it take you to do a frame??

Originally posted by rides20
                  HAHAHH...all by hand...ahahahah... No way man! You know just as well as I do that I would have no fingers left! I use a 5 inch electric DA sander up to 600 grit (P600 that is!)..then I hit it by hand with P600 wet and go by hand up from there just to make sure I have all the "hair" marks out from the DA...what do you guys use for dust collection?? Rumor has it that Aluminum dust has been linked to Alshiemers (spelling?)...And fly...thanks for the compliment!I just noticed that I'm now "Amateur Metal finisher"hahahahahahahahah I guess 50 posts makes me instantly better!

Comment

It takes me forever to do a frame because I take complete running bikes, completely disassemble them, strip it, remove all the welds, polish, install any desired upgrades...reassembly tune, and deliver! The r1 (my first full bike) took just over 3 months...the owner wanted the frame, swingarm, wheels, levers, rearsets, and brake hanger polished, also a titanium Micron full system (with the proper jetting), sync the carbs and an LED undertail, new brake pads all around..and the paint buffed out....What do you feel is a good price for all that work
                    WWW.DSMETALPROJECTS.COM

Comment

Actually I charge 30 an hr. for labor and polishing, also I have a list for my chrome parts that are made up so the customer can pick and choose. The bike shops all charge anywhere from 30-84 an hr. so I am still in the ball park, I don't disassemble completly but pretty close and I also do up-grades and any mechanical problems, this last bike that I did was wrecked and I had to repair all of that along with the chrome and polishing, man I wish I did this full time but my full time job has great benifits...

Comment

I hear that!...I actually havent come up with an hourly rate yet...I guess I should. I charged a flat rate of 3500 beans...1400 of that was the exhaust! Ouch...did I bone myself?
                        WWW.DSMETALPROJECTS.COM

Comment

Im not sure about what you mean on the exhaust

Comment

One thing you want to remember is try to keep your speed up so your work doesn't cost more than the chrome, cause most of the guys like the chrome rather than the polish.

Comment

The exhaust was included in the price I quoted him..and it cost me 1400 bucks to order it..so it certainly hacked the profit, how much do you think it would cost to chrome everything (disassemble..the whole 9 yards)?..and what do you think is fair for a 24x9 cast oil pan? Sorry for all the questions!
                              WWW.DSMETALPROJECTS.COM

Comment

Working...
                              X