is Simple Green safe on aluminum???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is Simple Green safe on aluminum???

what do you guys use to clean in between greaseless and polishing compounds? i accidentally use Easy Off oven cleaner and it totally messed up areas i couldn't buff out...

Any recommendations? Is Simple Green okay?

Re: is Simple Green safe on aluminum

Simple green is good. Dawn dishwashing liquid, or the more harsher chemicals like thinner or varsol. The down side to the harsher chemicals is the disposal when they are no longer effective. SS

Comment

if possible heat the bath up made of soap and it will help or purchase the SP degreaser from caswell and heat it up, when you heat the bath it helps get into those hard to get areas...
      www.chrome-plater.blogspot.com

Comment

Simple green is what alot of Harley stealerships use to clean the entire bike..
        WWW.DSMETALPROJECTS.COM

Polishing and Motocycle customization

Comment

Yea I like simple green just about anywhere even in the washing machine and in the windshield washer fluid..

Comment

Regular simple green causes corrosion in aluminum
            Steve Dold
            http://stevedold.com

Comment

umm.... I have never had a problem with it, and have used it for a while now.
              WWW.DSMETALPROJECTS.COM

Comment

[Umm removed ] It's slow, but it happens. I ran some tests with strips of aluminum in straight simple green, diluted simple green, and the new aluminum-safe simple green, and the worst offender was the diluted regular simple green. It caused slight surface dulling after a couple of hours. After a week, the strips had turned dark and were very rough. But it's your call. If you rinse it off fast you probably won't notice anything.
                Last edited by sdold; 02-11-2006, 01:08 AM.
                Steve Dold

Comment

Okay...thanks for the info, I wasnt being short with the "ummm"..i was just thinking back on all the stuff I've used it on. Now i'll keep an eye on it. Thanks
                  WWW.DSMETALPROJECTS.COM

Comment

Yeah, a bunch of were talking about it in an airplane forum. I used to use it a lot, and some guy came on and said that it caused corrosion, and we blew him off as a troublemaker. But I wondered about it, and so I took some strips of 2024 alclad (pure aluminum clad) and immersed them in the stuff. I was amazed at how bad it turned the surface.

After a month sitting in the stuff, several thousanths of the surface was gone! And the piece went from black to grey.

BUt like I said, if you get it off fast, it might be OK. No one soaks anything in the stuff, but it's nice to know.
                    Steve Dold

Comment

Here's the aluminum-safe stuff:

http://industrial.simplegreen.com/ind_prod_ext_mor.php
                      Steve Dold

Comment

Yea the stuff is made to clean then wash off, so after you dry the part just put a little polish on it.

Comment

thanks for all the good info guys... i'll try the hot water and dishwashing soap in the bathtub while the gf is at work... she'll freak out if she knew i was using it to clean my rims... lol

too bad the simple green aluminum safe is not available to me locally or that be my first choice... it's amazing how much that Easy Off oven cleaner corroded my wheels!!!

Comment

Oh yeah!....You should see what a strong mix of sodium hydroxide does!! You've really got to be careful....And now you've got me looking back to all the times i've usesd my tub to clean parts! HAHAAHAHAH
                            WWW.DSMETALPROJECTS.COM

Comment

FYI - Sodium hydroxide (lye) is a main ingrediant in most drain cleaners.
                              You can always tell the ole lady your cleaning the pipes so you don't get a clog. LOL
                              SS

Comment

Working...
                              X