Buffing steel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buffing steel?

Is it possible to buff a steel bumper after sanding the chrome off, then puting clearcoat on it? The reason is because the chrome on the bumper i have looks real bad, its all cracked up. Would the clearcoat hold up for a long time, what about the shine? I have buffed several things before, i just didn't now if you could buff steel and clear it. I dont have the money to have it rechromed right now.

Re: Buffing steel?

Sure you can buff steel. The only problem I can think of at this time is the final cleaning after buffing will need to be done with thinner or a wax and grease remover like PPG's DX330. If it's done with a cleaner and water, it'll flash rust in a matter of seconds. How long a clear coat will last will depend on the quality of the clear, if it's formulated to go over bare metal, and how clean the surface is you put it on.
    SS

Comment

Would [Competitors product removed] clearcoat be a good clearcoat to use? And which would be better to use, the spray can version, or the quart and use a spray gun?
      Last edited by lcaswell; 02-12-2006, 10:42 PM.

Comment

I'm not familiar with that product. Caswell also has a clear that is designed for use over bare metal. I haven't tried it either. I use mostly PPG products for paint/ body work. It's my opinion that for the most part the spray can products are not quite as good as the sprayable due to their formulation for spray can. I am not saying that they are not good products just that I haven't used them to know how they are.
        SS

Comment

This is the product sswee was referring to: http://www.caswellplating.com/vht/vhtclear.htm

It'll work great on steel parts.
          --
          Lance Caswell
          Caswell Inc
          http://www.caswellplating.com
          Need Support? Visit our online support section at http://support.caswellplating.com

Please support the moderators on our site by leaving reputation for their helpful posts. Read more here.

Comment

By the time you do all the work, you will wish that you spent the 300.00 and had it chrome plated. Trust me man its a lot of work but you can do it..
            www.chrome-plater.blogspot.com

Comment

Ok thanks for the help.

Fly, if i had the money, i would get it chromed, but i gotta pay off the mods i did to my truck. I plan on showing my truck in a few car shows soon.

Comment

Yea I understand, but man thats alot of work preping the bumper.
                www.chrome-plater.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                X