Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Started polishing my wheels any insight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Started polishing my wheels any insight?

Started taking the anodizing off as promised I hit two wheels with some oven cleaner two times for about 5 minutes each sitting and this is what I have so far.
    Pix of the uncleared rims(no center caps) and cleared rims(center caps)

Comment

Comment

Comment

Anybody have any info for me using the sodium hydroxide??So far as I said on 2 rims I'm about 10min in each I read someone saying to monitor them but leave them for about 20-30 min?

Comment

that is true you need to keep an eye on it. sodium hydroxide is lye and will eventually eat the aluminum up if left unattended for to long. i would work in 10-15 min increments spray a good heavy coating and cover it with plastic. come back in 10-15 and use a plastic scraper like to spread bondo or drywall patch, then scrape at the easy off nd see if it is lifted the ano all the way. if not let set for another cycle and repeat. the alternative to this process is if you have a sandblast cabinet or access to one and some glass beads it will remove the ano coating and leave a satin finish on the wheels
            when in doubt polish it out/ why replace it when you can refinish it
            G2 Polishing and Powdercoating

Comment

Originally posted by pickleboy
              if you have a sandblast cabinet or access to one and some glass beads it will remove the ano coating and leave a satin finish on the wheels
              Would it be easy to ploish the wheels with a satin finish??

Comment

not necessarily but it may speed up the ano stripping and if there are small scratches it may help remove them as well. also it may give a little more consistent finish between the wheels if they all start out in the same state. just some thoughts.

Comment

not necessarily but it may speed up the ano stripping and if there are small scratches it may help remove them as well. also it may give a little more consistent finish between the wheels if they all start out in the same state. just some thoughts.
                  How hard is it to sand on the wheels after they have been bead blaster??
                  Could I just leave the rims after the bead blast??Does anyone have a pic of a satin finish look on a wheel??

Comment

what look do you desire to have on these rims? are you looking for a high shine chrome like finish or more of a satin or even a brushed finish. or are you planing on paint matching them? i am sorry for not asking this in the beginning so as not to steer you in the wrong direction. here is a example of what satin could look like.
                    Attached Files

Comment

what look do you desire to have on these rims? are you looking for a high shine chrome like finish or more of a satin or even a brushed finish. or are you planing on paint matching them? i am sorry for not asking this in the beginning so as not to steer you in the wrong direction. here is a example of what satin could look like.
                      Well I'm not 100% solid on the look I want for the wheels if I could polish them after having them bead blasted that would be cool I could probably do that down the road sometime maybe like next show season and just go with the satin finish for this show season.I don't want to paint or powdercoat them though

Comment

Well there's no nead for the media blasting now I got home from work not to long ago and decided to try the oven cleaner one more time since I have a few people looking for media blasters in the area well I took your adivse pickle sprayed it on pretty thick and coverd it in plastic let it sit for about 10 min then started scraping on it with the plastic chizel I guess you can call it and it started breaking up.I then wet sanded it with 80 grit sandpaper got it almost complete now just have to do the lips.Now since I'm almost done with this one and I'm going to start looking towards the other 3 what polishing kit is recommended to give these a good shine after I'm done with the sanding?Also after I sand all the ano off with the 80 grit I'm gonna go back to the 180 dry then dry all the way to 400 and wet from there to 2000 sound good??

Comment

that will work but it is a lot of unnecessary sanding. i normally dont sand above 600 since the emory starts cutting around that grit. if you are looking to polish to a high shine then sand to 600 wet and then start to buff it with a spiral or vented wheel and emory then when it has a good shine started move to a spiral sewn and the white bar, this should bring the high color out. then you can finish if needed with loose and white.

Comment

that will work but it is a lot of unnecessary sanding. i normally dont sand above 600 since the emory starts cutting around that grit. if you are looking to polish to a high shine then sand to 600 wet and then start to buff it with a spiral or vented wheel and emory then when it has a good shine started move to a spiral sewn and the white bar, this should bring the high color out. then you can finish if needed with loose and white.
                            So all I need is to dry sand from 180 to 400 then wet from 400 to 600??Also what polishing kit would be the best for my current task?I was looking at this kit does it have everything I need?http://caswellplating.com/buffs/alpolkit.htm

Comment

that should work great but 2 things. i normally dont use sisal wheels on aluminum. i feel they are to aggressive. second when using this kit if you get it, when using the wheels on the arbor adapter cover the adapter with some duct tape on the metal so as not to scuff the work if it grabs. other than that you should be good for getting started with this assortment. let us know of the progress.

Comment

that should work great but 2 things. i normally dont use sisal wheels on aluminum. i feel they are to aggressive. second when using this kit if you get it, when using the wheels on the arbor adapter cover the adapter with some duct tape on the metal so as not to scuff the work if it grabs. other than that you should be good for getting started with this assortment. let us know of the progress.
                                Thanx for the heads up about the adapter.

Comment

Working...
                                X