Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Started polishing my wheels any insight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Started polishing my wheels any insight?

Do you think the sisal wheel will cut into the wheels even if I use the black compound with it??

Comment

the sisal wheel has sisal rope fibers imbedded in it this makes it a faster cutting wheel than a spiral sewn. if you want to try it go ahead. i dont use them but it may be just what you need. this is the beauty of polishing work, everyone has a different method that works best. if you do give the sisal a try just go easy on the wheel pressure. keep us posted bro. and best of luck.
      when in doubt polish it out/ why replace it when you can refinish it
      G2 Polishing and Powdercoating

Comment

Well I'm getting closer and closer to finishing the sanding and getting ready to start the polishing.Well I've been looking at air drill because my regular drill is pretty weak only puts out 120volts and 5.2amps seems a little low for the task ahead.Would a air drill with my 100 gallon compressor and 10hp be better for me?

Comment

if you are using the bobs that should work fine. if you are looking ad a adapter and wheels for the air drill it will work if you can get a drill with rpms in the 4-5000 rpm range. this with 4 to 6" wheels should give the speed needed to get a good shine.

Comment

Originally posted by pickleboy
            if you are using the bobs that should work fine. if you are looking ad a adapter and wheels for the air drill it will work if you can get a drill with rpms in the 4-5000 rpm range. this with 4 to 6" wheels should give the speed needed to get a good shine.
            So if I use the kit from caswell my regular drill would work fine??

Comment

Originally posted by porschelover21
              So if I use the kit from caswell my regular drill would work fine??
              if this is the kit you are talking about http://www.caswellplating.com/buffs/alwheel.htm then yes it should work if the drill speed is at least 3500-5000 rpm
              if this one it will still be fine
              http://www.caswellplating.com/buffs/alpolkit.htm

Comment

if this is the kit you are talking about http://www.caswellplating.com/buffs/alwheel.htm then yes it should work if the drill speed is at least 3500-5000 rpm
                if this one it will still be fine
                http://www.caswellplating.com/buffs/alpolkit.htm
                Yea I saw both kits I was gonna get this kit since most of the extra stuff in the other kit I dont need like the vht stripper and clear since I already stripped the anodizing off and if I clear them I'm gonna have them professionaly cleared,powdercoated clear or use something like zoopseal.How do I determine the drill speed?
                this is the kit I'm going to buy http://www.caswellplating.com/buffs/alpolkit.htm

Comment

who is the drill made by and do you have a model # if so you can probably find out from the manufactures website what the specs of the drill are.

Comment

who is the drill made by and do you have a model # if so you can probably find out from the manufactures website what the specs of the drill are.
                    Is it the "No load rpm"?it says 0-4,000 min

Comment

thats it. with the 4 in wheels in the kit that will give you around 400 sfpm wheel speed this should be enough to get the job done. around 6000-7500 is ideal but it should still work. it just may take a little longer. keep in mind to tape up the adapter that holds the buffing wheels so it will not nick or ding the wheel if bumped against it. also dont rush through the job. take your time and do each step till it seems like you can get no more shine out of that wheel combo. change directions on each step of buffing by 90 degrees if possible, this will help you see the scratches left by the last step. remember to rake the wheels clean at least every 3 times of adding compound or sooner if they start to look shiny on the face. add compound sparingly but often. remember to clean the part between compound steps, i use either simple green and hot water or brake clean aerosol and a soft tooth brush. best of luck and be sure to get pics of the finished job.

Comment

Once again thanx for all the information it will not be wasted,I should be picking up the materials from caswell in about a week so once I start pix will be posted

Comment

glad to hear you are almost ready to start. as you are finding this forum is a gold mine of info. were it not for the folks here and at caswell i would not be doing as well as i am today. that said in the future when questions come up that you can help out on be sure to jump in. it make the whole experience a better one for all.

Comment

Quick question.How do I know when to switch sanding grits??I'm still dry sanding because I'm not sure if I did or am doing enough sanding at each grit

Comment

to some degree it is a judgement call of yours. basically think in this way, the 80 grit cuts to 80 grit depth. then when you move to 120 grit you are removing the 80 grit scratches. then with 240 you are removing the 120 grit scratches. so on, so on. the way i tell is if i move up to fast the sanding does not seem to remove the scratches, only make it shineythen i have to back up. when the surface looks uniform in one direction turn 90 degrees and sand again with slightly lighter pressure. this will show the cuts that still need to come out. do this with each grit and you will get the hang of it fairly quickly when to move up.

Comment

Well this is what I have so far up to 360 grit dry my next step is going to be 400 wet but I don't know if I'm ready yet.I've basically been doing what you just said which is sanding out the lower grit with the higher grit I guess I'm doing it right but just overreacting but this is my first time I'm having a lot of fun and I'm pretty proud of myself even getting this far I almost cracked a few times and went to just send the wheels to a pro polisher but thanx to everybody here I stuck with it and I'm almost ready to start polishing the first wheel

Comment

Working...
                                X