Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Started polishing my wheels any insight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Started polishing my wheels any insight?

now get ready for the dirty part......
    www.chrome-plater.blogspot.com

Comment

looks good bro i noticed the following areas i would like to ask about.
      at about 2:30 position on the rim it looks like there are pits from wheel weights. also at 9:00 on the lug area there looks like a pit. these will stand out when you start to polish if the are deep enough to catch your finger nail. other than that it looks good for that stage bro.the wet will get it lots smoother. if you are using a electric sander i would use wd-40 instead of water. it will work just as good. if you are doing by hand and use water i would add a small amount of dish soap. this will help lube the paper so it will not load up as fast. also keep it wet with fresh water or wd-40.
      when in doubt polish it out/ why replace it when you can refinish it
      G2 Polishing and Powdercoating

Comment

Originally posted by pickleboy
        looks good bro i noticed the following areas i would like to ask about.
        at about 2:30 position on the rim it looks like there are pits from wheel weights. also at 9:00 on the lug area there looks like a pit. these will stand out when you start to polish if the are deep enough to catch your finger nail. other than that it looks good for that stage bro.the wet will get it lots smoother. if you are using a electric sander i would use wd-40 instead of water. it will work just as good. if you are doing by hand and use water i would add a small amount of dish soap. this will help lube the paper so it will not load up as fast. also keep it wet with fresh water or wd-40.
        Yes you are correct there are some pits on the wheel two around the 2:30 area and one as you mentioned by the lug bolt hole there are also some small pits around the area the center cap goes I think somewhere down the line one of the previous owners did something to the wheels they did come to me in pretty bad shape the wheels are forged though not cast so I'm not sure what was done this is the only wheel that has pitting which is why I started on this wheel first.I'm currently hand sanding I'm currently at 360 grit I'm not sure but it seems like it needs a little more sanding before I can go up again but not much I should be onto wetsanding probably by tuesday I still have to pick up some more 400-600 grits I only have a few sheets left.Do you think the pits will make the wheels a total eye-sore?? is there anything I can do??I know cast wheels tend to be porus and have pitting but I don't know what the previous owners of these wheels have done to them.I know someone tried to strip them and was sanding on them because some parts were partially stripped.It's no big thing though I'm learning a lot and I'm having so much fun as long as I can get a good shine I'm happy

Comment

if they are not to deep the polishing wheels will dig into them and it will not look to terrible. what you dont want is to sand the pit out and cause a wave in that area. i would let them go till you get the first step of wet sanding done and then see how bad they look. since the wet sanding will be the first phase of shine they will have. then make the call on weither you need to back up or let them go like that.

Comment

Well I started wet sanding and the rims are starting to look like something now.I'll post some pix in tomorrow or friday so you guys can critique

Comment

Originally posted by porschelover21
              Well I started wet sanding and the rims are starting to look like something now.I'll post some pix in tomorrow or friday so you guys can critique
              I wasn't able to do any significant work on the wheels for a few days now but I got some good time in this weekend.I will post pics later tonight.I've been hand sanding since I started and I'm in the wetsanding stage now so I decided to try a palm sander I didn't like the results so I'm back to hand-sanding.I have almost all the anodizing off besides so small amounts in very hard to reach places I know you said the sisal wheel is a little harsh for aluminum pickle do you think it would be able to take the ano off in these spots??the ano comes off easy with 80 grit but the locations are pretty hard to get to because of my big hands .I will post pix for some insight

Comment

if i could hijack a bit... what would people recommend for getting in small areas? i was able to get most of it with a bullet shaped face bob, but there's still the very corner portion that's hard to get to.

Comment

check around for felt bobs that have a sharp taper to a point this is about the only way unless you have a dremel and can get the tiny felt tips.

Comment

mdwsta4,

Try using some Dremel bobs, there about 1/2" in diameter and about 3/8" thick. They take a 1/8" mandrel. You maybe able to find some hard felt bobs mounted on 3/32" mandrels also they come three to a package. I get mine from the local hardware store.

John

Comment

Working...
                    X