Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Started polishing my wheels any insight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jrow
    replied
    Re: Started polishing my wheels any insight?

mdwsta4,

Try using some Dremel bobs, there about 1/2" in diameter and about 3/8" thick. They take a 1/8" mandrel. You maybe able to find some hard felt bobs mounted on 3/32" mandrels also they come three to a package. I get mine from the local hardware store.

John

Leave a comment:

• pickleboy
    replied

check around for felt bobs that have a sharp taper to a point this is about the only way unless you have a dremel and can get the tiny felt tips.

Leave a comment:

• mdwsta4
    replied

if i could hijack a bit... what would people recommend for getting in small areas? i was able to get most of it with a bullet shaped face bob, but there's still the very corner portion that's hard to get to.

Leave a comment:

• porschelover21
    replied

Originally posted by porschelover21
    Well I started wet sanding and the rims are starting to look like something now.I'll post some pix in tomorrow or friday so you guys can critique
    I wasn't able to do any significant work on the wheels for a few days now but I got some good time in this weekend.I will post pics later tonight.I've been hand sanding since I started and I'm in the wetsanding stage now so I decided to try a palm sander I didn't like the results so I'm back to hand-sanding.I have almost all the anodizing off besides so small amounts in very hard to reach places I know you said the sisal wheel is a little harsh for aluminum pickle do you think it would be able to take the ano off in these spots??the ano comes off easy with 80 grit but the locations are pretty hard to get to because of my big hands .I will post pix for some insight

Leave a comment:

• porschelover21
    replied

Well I started wet sanding and the rims are starting to look like something now.I'll post some pix in tomorrow or friday so you guys can critique

Leave a comment:

• pickleboy
    replied

if they are not to deep the polishing wheels will dig into them and it will not look to terrible. what you dont want is to sand the pit out and cause a wave in that area. i would let them go till you get the first step of wet sanding done and then see how bad they look. since the wet sanding will be the first phase of shine they will have. then make the call on weither you need to back up or let them go like that.

Leave a comment:

• porschelover21
    replied

Originally posted by pickleboy
    looks good bro i noticed the following areas i would like to ask about.
    at about 2:30 position on the rim it looks like there are pits from wheel weights. also at 9:00 on the lug area there looks like a pit. these will stand out when you start to polish if the are deep enough to catch your finger nail. other than that it looks good for that stage bro.the wet will get it lots smoother. if you are using a electric sander i would use wd-40 instead of water. it will work just as good. if you are doing by hand and use water i would add a small amount of dish soap. this will help lube the paper so it will not load up as fast. also keep it wet with fresh water or wd-40.
    Yes you are correct there are some pits on the wheel two around the 2:30 area and one as you mentioned by the lug bolt hole there are also some small pits around the area the center cap goes I think somewhere down the line one of the previous owners did something to the wheels they did come to me in pretty bad shape the wheels are forged though not cast so I'm not sure what was done this is the only wheel that has pitting which is why I started on this wheel first.I'm currently hand sanding I'm currently at 360 grit I'm not sure but it seems like it needs a little more sanding before I can go up again but not much I should be onto wetsanding probably by tuesday I still have to pick up some more 400-600 grits I only have a few sheets left.Do you think the pits will make the wheels a total eye-sore?? is there anything I can do??I know cast wheels tend to be porus and have pitting but I don't know what the previous owners of these wheels have done to them.I know someone tried to strip them and was sanding on them because some parts were partially stripped.It's no big thing though I'm learning a lot and I'm having so much fun as long as I can get a good shine I'm happy

Leave a comment:

• pickleboy
    replied

looks good bro i noticed the following areas i would like to ask about.
    at about 2:30 position on the rim it looks like there are pits from wheel weights. also at 9:00 on the lug area there looks like a pit. these will stand out when you start to polish if the are deep enough to catch your finger nail. other than that it looks good for that stage bro.the wet will get it lots smoother. if you are using a electric sander i would use wd-40 instead of water. it will work just as good. if you are doing by hand and use water i would add a small amount of dish soap. this will help lube the paper so it will not load up as fast. also keep it wet with fresh water or wd-40.

Leave a comment:

• fly
    replied

now get ready for the dirty part......

Leave a comment:

• porschelover21
    replied

Well this is what I have so far up to 360 grit dry my next step is going to be 400 wet but I don't know if I'm ready yet.I've basically been doing what you just said which is sanding out the lower grit with the higher grit I guess I'm doing it right but just overreacting but this is my first time I'm having a lot of fun and I'm pretty proud of myself even getting this far I almost cracked a few times and went to just send the wheels to a pro polisher but thanx to everybody here I stuck with it and I'm almost ready to start polishing the first wheel

Leave a comment:

• pickleboy
    replied

to some degree it is a judgement call of yours. basically think in this way, the 80 grit cuts to 80 grit depth. then when you move to 120 grit you are removing the 80 grit scratches. then with 240 you are removing the 120 grit scratches. so on, so on. the way i tell is if i move up to fast the sanding does not seem to remove the scratches, only make it shineythen i have to back up. when the surface looks uniform in one direction turn 90 degrees and sand again with slightly lighter pressure. this will show the cuts that still need to come out. do this with each grit and you will get the hang of it fairly quickly when to move up.

Leave a comment:

• porschelover21
    replied

Quick question.How do I know when to switch sanding grits??I'm still dry sanding because I'm not sure if I did or am doing enough sanding at each grit

Leave a comment:

• pickleboy
    replied

glad to hear you are almost ready to start. as you are finding this forum is a gold mine of info. were it not for the folks here and at caswell i would not be doing as well as i am today. that said in the future when questions come up that you can help out on be sure to jump in. it make the whole experience a better one for all.

Leave a comment:

• porschelover21
    replied

Once again thanx for all the information it will not be wasted,I should be picking up the materials from caswell in about a week so once I start pix will be posted

Leave a comment:

• pickleboy
    replied

thats it. with the 4 in wheels in the kit that will give you around 400 sfpm wheel speed this should be enough to get the job done. around 6000-7500 is ideal but it should still work. it just may take a little longer. keep in mind to tape up the adapter that holds the buffing wheels so it will not nick or ding the wheel if bumped against it. also dont rush through the job. take your time and do each step till it seems like you can get no more shine out of that wheel combo. change directions on each step of buffing by 90 degrees if possible, this will help you see the scratches left by the last step. remember to rake the wheels clean at least every 3 times of adding compound or sooner if they start to look shiny on the face. add compound sparingly but often. remember to clean the part between compound steps, i use either simple green and hot water or brake clean aerosol and a soft tooth brush. best of luck and be sure to get pics of the finished job.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X