Driving me nucking futs!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving me nucking futs!

I have a set of Ford valve covers looking really good - but they must be awfully soft. No matter what I do, when I do the final cleaning (in this case after red rouge) I get scratches. I've tried everything from paper towels to microfiber cloths. They look like mirror surfaces from most angles, but those daggone cleaning scratches completely ruin all my hard work.

I've been told that commercial shops use dips for cleaning. I'm not set up to do that right now. Any suggestions? Tonight I'm going to go over them again, then try a brand new spiral wheel with no compound to see if that will clean them without scratches.

Re: Driving me nucking futs!

Seen it before. Never a paper product. I've the best luck with an old flannel shirt or cotton t-shirt or socks. Sometimes a soft damp chamois.
    SS

Comment

when i have a soft part like that i will do a final clean by spraying it down real well with brake cleaner. this will remove most all the compound that may be caked in the creases and corners. let it air dry and put a coat of liquid wax on them to help keep the fingerprints from causing problems.
      when in doubt polish it out/ why replace it when you can refinish it
      G2 Polishing and Powdercoating

Comment

I am having the same problem with a sportbike frame, I got the shine but those fine scratches are not going anywhere....what can I use on the final step, I have wenall for my aluminum polish but even that doesn't help...
        www.chrome-plater.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks gentlemen. I think I'll try flooding it with solvent to get off the compound before I wipe it with anything. Seems like it stops scratching after the compound's off. Then maybe my usual Flitz finish with the microfiber cloth. I'll post the results.

Comment

Working...
          X