how much compound is too much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how much compound is too much?

greetings, i am having a problem with my spiral and loose cotton wheels turning copper color immediately after i begin to buff, is this a bad thing? do i add more compound? or do i have to keep cleaning it off? i'm finding out how soft copper really is..... i am trying to polish our new line of standing seam copper awnings so we are not talking small parts here, any help?

Re: how much compound is too much?

Apply a little compound often. Take the bar and touch it to the moving wheel for about 1 second is generally all that is needed. How often to apply, that's something you will have to determine yourself, depends on pressure, speed, heat. It's normal for the wheel to turn copper color, even black. When you start to making scatches instead of polishing, it's time to rake the wheel. The softer the metal, the more you rake.

Comment

hey thanks a lot! i didn't know if i was screwing up or not, this project has been a real learning curve for me but the help i have found here is second to none. i will probably be asking more stupid questions but thanks again for your help.

Comment

from the few times i have done copper as you have found it is very soft. from my experience i have found that as the wheel face takes on a shine then it is time to rake. this is due to the build up of particles of the base metal. in the case of copper it happens faster than other harder metals so it may not need raked ever time you add compound but as a rule i rake every 3 times i add compound hope this helps.
        when in doubt polish it out/ why replace it when you can refinish it
        G2 Polishing and Powdercoating

Comment

Working...
        X