dremel type attachments advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dremel type attachments advice

hello all, i did say i'd be back on asking advice on these..

for all small parts and fiddly bits i have bought this set, but please could anyone give advice to what compound i should use,i have grasped sisal,spiral wheels for the big jobs but know nothing about these felt bobs,any tips to cutting/colour,do's & donts, i know these are speed adjustable, but i would imagine faster the better,the heat factor for stainless steel would be a balls ache.
    i have silverwear(trophy's plaques) and especially brass items any help on polishing them would be apreciated,jewellers rouge ideal what about white?
    my carborettor is fiddly and also been oindized (is that the term?) so i would need to prep that.
    could i use a different attachment with black,brown then white/red.
    sorry for the hundreds of questions in a oner.
    thanks so much
    brian

Re: dremel type attachments advice

Originally posted by grommit
    for all small parts and fiddly bits i have bought this set, but please could anyone give advice to what compound i should use
    The beauty of buffing compounds is that the manner in which they can be applied is non-specific: buffing wheels, facer buffs, mushroom buffs, felt buffs all work equally well and you can achieve the same quality of finish with any of them that you choose. In actuality the form of buff that one would choose has nothing to do with the compound being used and everything to do with the shape/size/nature of the part being polished.

You would still wanna use the black/white combo on your bike parts with the smaller felt bits, as these compounds are best suited for buffing "virgin" metals that have not been previously polished. As far as polishing your trophies and other things you mentioned: the red or even blue compounds would probably work best because they have no abrasive action and are therefore "gentler", plus they're a bit drier in composition so you'll be less likely to "gunk" them up with leftover residual compound. (I'd be afraid to use oven cleaner to clean excess compound off something like a trophy especially if it has any wood in it's construction.)

Originally posted by grommit
    my carborettor is fiddly and also been oindized (is that the term?) so i would need to prep that.
    Did you mean "anodized?" If that be the case then Caswell sells a clearcoat/anodize stripper kit. On something as intricately shaped as a carburetor, it would be an absolute nightmare trying to buff the anodize layer off with emery. Going from my own experience, I'll dare to say that your carburetor is probably going to be the hardest part of your bike to polish. Without actually seeing it, I'd say that your best bet is going to be to just take the carb to a buffing wheel on your bench grinder and use alot of pressure to mash the wheel into the little nooks and crannies. All the carbs I've polished have had such small crevices in them that even the small felt bobs wouldn't fit. But just experiment a little bit and get a feel for what each type of buff can do and the right method will eventually come.
    "Some people are like sandpaper: they may delight in the misery they inflict by rubbing up against you, but in the end you will come out smooth and polished while they'll just be ugly, wrinkled, and used up." - Beyonce Knowles

Comment

Re: dremel type attachments advice

hello m8, thanks again for the advice,that stripping kit sounds exactly what i am after.i nearly have all the kit to start on the smaller items, so whilst i am on holiday next 2 weeks i will be playing i will keep you all posted on my experiences, good and bad.
      take care,
      brian

Comment

Working...
      X