can you polish too much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can you polish too much?

i repolished some pitted parts of my wheels and it turned out just fine. while inspecting them yesterday it seems like there are a few small parts that appear white. i thought it was left over polish, but i couldn't get it off. it looks like it's underneath the polished metal.
    so is it possible to polish too much?

thanks!

Re: can you polish too much?

You'll never hurt the part by polishing it more: the Law of Diminishing Returns will eventually kick in and you'll get to a point where doing more is just exercising futility. Without actually seeing pics and making an educated guess, the white spots you're seeing sound like inclusions. They're impurities embedded in the casting. Not much you can do about them other than make them as smooth as possible and "blend" them in with the parent metal.
    "Some people are like sandpaper: they may delight in the misery they inflict by rubbing up against you, but in the end you will come out smooth and polished while they'll just be ugly, wrinkled, and used up." - Beyonce Knowles

Comment

If the parts are pot-metal then the spots or contamination....and they need to be drilled out before plating....
      Pot-metal does like our teeth and get cavities down deep and we have to drill the cavity out.
      www.chrome-plater.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by fly
        If the parts are pot-metal then the spots or contamination....and they need to be drilled out before plating....
        Pot-metal does like our teeth and get cavities down deep and we have to drill the cavity out.
        LOL...if the wheels are pot-metal he's gonna have a lot worse problems when it's on the road...

Comment

Yep your right, I forgot about what the parts were when I replied. Sorry disregard my 2 cents...

Comment

Originally posted by fly
            Yep your right, I forgot about what the parts were when I replied. Sorry disregard my 2 cents...
            Haha, no problem, didn't mean to be a [email protected] but I was picturing his wheels exploding...(hmmm, not funny really, is it?).

I wonder if "burning" the metal could make it look lighter in color? Also I've heard it's not easy to polish magnesium, so that's a possibility I guess.

Comment

I found that magnesium is pretty easy to polish, but I just can't get it to plate..I had some side covers on a sport bike that were mag....I think its just the material that was used in the casting, they have different grades of aluminum, like anything else...

Comment

well i didn't take a picture of the affected area, but it's been so nice all week i've been working on some little projects to finish up details on my car. i purchased a set of porsche center caps over the winter and needed to polish them.
                they started out like:

then this:

one side polished:

an older picture when i partially polished the first one compared to how it started:

nice and polished:

all ready to roll

my stretch

i'd still like to clean them up a little bit, but they look pretty damn good right now if i do say so myself. definite thanks to nautishine's how-to with the polishing kit. i had no idea how to use it before that. although, i have yet to use the brown compound. i sand, then use black, then rogue, and i finish it up by hand with polish and a MF towel.
                Last edited by mdwsta4; 04-14-2006, 08:31 PM.

Comment

Those turned out really excellent. I must say, I'm pretty impressed at the outcome of this project considering it's your first. I'm actually working on a set of wheels now and it's a real eye opener as far as what we tend to take for granted on just about any other project. Another ball that gets thrown into the juggling act when polishing sand cast wheels is that not only do you have to be concerned with the process of smoothing the metal out but you also have to make sure that things stay symmetrical and identical while you're doing it.

I dunno about your experience but I've had the nervous jitters all the way through this project worrying that I'll end up sanding just a little too much in one spot or doing an "oops" that I could otherwise correct on another part but would end up making the wheel look dissimilar to the others. It's definitely a "white knuckles" operation to say the least. My hat goes off to you sir.
                  "Some people are like sandpaper: they may delight in the misery they inflict by rubbing up against you, but in the end you will come out smooth and polished while they'll just be ugly, wrinkled, and used up." - Beyonce Knowles

Comment

thanks for the compliments. i was bit nervous at first. especially when you begin and the scratches are so terrible! but i just kept at it without much hesitation. i figured if things got that messed up i'd just have to pay to have them fixed. i try to teach the majority of what i do on my car myself so i figured i was up to the task.

Comment

BTW, in regards to my original post, this is what i was referring to:

i don't know how well you can see, but in the corner of the spoke there is a white mark. i know i need to clean up all these nooks that were caked with brake dust from the previous owner, but i'm not sure what to make of these white marks.

Comment

Originally posted by mdwsta4
                        BTW, in regards to my original post, this is what i was referring to:

i don't know how well you can see, but in the corner of the spoke there is a white mark. i know i need to clean up all these nooks that were caked with brake dust from the previous owner, but i'm not sure what to make of these white marks.
                        it could possibly be a intergrainular corrosion. try to sand it out with 240-320 grit and see if you can remove it if you do give it a good shine after if it does not sand out it is a defect in the casting.
                        when in doubt polish it out/ why replace it when you can refinish it
                        G2 Polishing and Powdercoating

Comment

just a guess , but that wheel could have been previously painted or clearcoated.
                          when removing that finish if you have some low spots the clear or primer stayed
                          in those low spots , by sanding like pickleboy suggested will probably fix the problem
                          http://www.peintureenpoudrepb.com
                          http://www.polissagepb.com
                          http://www.powdercoatpb.com
                          baz

Comment

Working...
                          X