Stainless Steel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stainless Steel

Can someone tell me a good Chemical (Pickle/Acid?) for polishing SS. Due to Katrina, I have been Fabricating a lot of Marine Parts. And they need to be highly polished. I use buffing wheels and compounds in most cases. But there are times when time itself is a problem, or the spot to be polished cannot be reached. I would be very greatful for any info.

Thank you: Machinist_1

Re: Stainless Steel

I am not sure about where to look for the info. but its called electro-polishing and I have seen the results from it and it looks good but Im not sure where to start looking. I work at a chemical plant and we had some pipe done and it looked good.
    www.chrome-plater.blogspot.com

Comment

Electropolishing is often referred to as a "reverse plating" process. Electrochemical in nature, electropolishing uses a combination of rectified current and a blended chemical electrolyte bath to remove flaws from the surface of a metal part.
      This is not a process I recommend the chemicals are very dangerous here is a link to the MSDS on this process
      http://msds.ogden.disa.mil/msds/owa/...y?imsdsnr=9609
      Last edited by jimcarry; 05-22-2006, 07:41 AM.
      Jim Eaton

Comment

Hey jim, I saw where you tried to email me, try it again....
        www.chrome-plater.blogspot.com

Comment

i was going to e-mail you the MSDS for the ELectropolishing but just put in a link so everyone can see it
          Jim Eaton

Comment

There is an inexpensive kit product that easily converts your existing tig welder into a stainless steel weld cleaning / electro-polishing machine. It's called RETROPOL.
            You can find more info on it here: www.retropol.com.au
            And yeah it really does work well. It uses a non-dangerous phosphoric acid & citric acid electrolyte and a carbon fiber brush & adapter that fits into the tig torch in the same way as the tungsten electrode - so its super-easy and quick to fit/remove. The chemicals are all food grade, so it is safe to use with food/medical equipment too.

Comment

Working...
            X