Announcement

Collapse

CASWELD Our new 'Welding' rods

Introducing our latest range of Welding and brazing rods, for the repair of Pot Metal, Aluminum, Stainless and much more.

Please see our web page for details.

http://www.caswellplating.com/restor...ding-rods.html
See more
See less

Stainless Steel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stainless Steel

Can someone tell me a good Chemical (Pickle/Acid?) for polishing SS. Due to Katrina, I have been Fabricating a lot of Marine Parts. And they need to be highly polished. I use buffing wheels and compounds in most cases. But there are times when time itself is a problem, or the spot to be polished cannot be reached. I would be very greatful for any info.

Thank you: Machinist_1

Re: Stainless Steel

I am not sure about where to look for the info. but its called electro-polishing and I have seen the results from it and it looks good but Im not sure where to start looking. I work at a chemical plant and we had some pipe done and it looked good.
    www.chrome-plater.blogspot.com

Comment

Electropolishing is often referred to as a "reverse plating" process. Electrochemical in nature, electropolishing uses a combination of rectified current and a blended chemical electrolyte bath to remove flaws from the surface of a metal part.
      This is not a process I recommend the chemicals are very dangerous here is a link to the MSDS on this process
      http://msds.ogden.disa.mil/msds/owa/...y?imsdsnr=9609
      Last edited by jimcarry; 05-22-2006, 08:41 AM.
      Jim Eaton

Comment

Hey jim, I saw where you tried to email me, try it again....
        www.chrome-plater.blogspot.com

Comment

i was going to e-mail you the MSDS for the ELectropolishing but just put in a link so everyone can see it
          Jim Eaton

Comment

There is an inexpensive kit product that easily converts your existing tig welder into a stainless steel weld cleaning / electro-polishing machine. It's called RETROPOL.
            You can find more info on it here: www.retropol.com.au
            And yeah it really does work well. It uses a non-dangerous phosphoric acid & citric acid electrolyte and a carbon fiber brush & adapter that fits into the tig torch in the same way as the tungsten electrode - so its super-easy and quick to fit/remove. The chemicals are all food grade, so it is safe to use with food/medical equipment too.

Comment

Working...
            X