Another tumbler question for nuts and bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another tumbler question for nuts and bolts

After doing some searching, I can't seem to find enough info on a vibrator/tumbler. I'm going to get my hands on the 5 gallon vibrator, because I've been told it's the better one for nuts and bolts. I'm doing a good job polishing a bunch of parts, and I'd feel REALLY bad putting ugly nuts and bolts back on. I'd also rather not sit there with a dremel and hit each one either. I will if I have to, but would rather not.

I've heard that the green pyramid resin pieces are good for removing rust from bolts w/out messing up the threads. I've heard about corn cob and walnut.....I don't know where to go to actually SEE a picture of the finished result. Can anyone help?

Cheers in advance.
    ~If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything~ Mark Twain

Re: Another tumbler question for nuts and bolts

Another way would be to use a jewelry holder and your polishing mtr
    this is how i polish many types of small itams
    Attached Files
    jimcarry
    Experienced Metal Finisher
    Last edited by jimcarry; 07-24-2006, 10:20 AM.
    Jim Eaton

Comment

Originally posted by jimcarry
      Another way would be to use a jewelry holder and your polishing mtr
      this is how i polish many types of small itams
      Thanks for the input. I know that I could sit there and single out the nuts and bolts, but the idea of the vibrator/tumbler is new to me. Does anyone have before and after pics of nuts and bolts using the vibrator/tumbler?

Thanks again

Comment

Well, my first round of walnut shells and nuts and bolts went smooth. I filled it up about 2/3 to the top, including bolts, and let it run for about 2 hours. They're a LOT better than before, but I think they could be better. Anyone have any good tips? I'm not sure if I have the ratio of parts to media correct.

Thanks again in advance.

Comment

I threw a little red rouge in there. A LITTLE bit. I can see that if you put too much in there, it's going to get messy and stain the bottom of the bowl. After I did that, I hit it again with fresh shells. Took the rouge right off, and left a nice polish. I also hit the tops of the bolts that had crevisis with a Crest rotating toothbrush to get the rouge out of the corners.

Comment

Depends your volume:
            Using wire for plating can be a disadvantage because plating thickness will vary. It may look like its plated but could have a flash.
            Look up "barrel plating"
            Nol4154

Comment

Working...
            X