How is this being done?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How is this being done?

There is a person that i know that polishes any part no matter what it is in minimal time as if polishing takes no effort for hime to do. All of the work is 100% flawless and it doens't matter how big or small the job is. I am almost tempted to say he has some machine he dumps the part in and flips a switch because he can polish all of the follwing pictured below in one day! The parts are cast aluminum and are really rough from the factory. When i polish i start at 80, 120, 240, 360, and then 400 before i move to the black emery and so on. It takes me forever to clean up a large piece and to be honest it doesn't look half as good as his work. He pumps out pieces 10 times faster than me and the quality is amazing. He charges almost nothing to do the workl as well wich makes me wonder how. He does the throttle body for 60 bucks shipped! The other thing is that anything he polishes stays polished. Anything i polish is corroded in like 1 week. I live on long island but so do my other friends who have parts done by him and theirs still look perfect. Take a look. How is he doing it?

Last edited by fosgate99; 07-30-2006, 10:06 PM.

Re: How is this being done?

my best guess is he is using a vibratory polisher. like a rock tumbler the parts are loaded in and the media is added and then turn it on. some of these machines do a great job and they are fast. as for the final finish he may then hit it with a loose and white to give it that glo. hope this helps bro. i suggest you go and try to get a look at his setup if possible.
    when in doubt polish it out/ why replace it when you can refinish it
    G2 Polishing and Powdercoating

Comment

this is exactly what i was thinking. He takes on any project and doesn't care how much you have or how many customers he gets at one time. Where can i get a look at a machine like this? What kind of media is he running? I told him my procedure for polishing and got no response. He keeps his info top secret but there is no way he's doing this work by hand.

Comment

If you look at the intake port hole which has two studs in it and see the gasket face is polished also, so that tells me that he has a tumbler of some sort.
        www.chrome-plater.blogspot.com

Comment

Hey fosgate99...did you ever get a look at this guy's setup?? Just curious, I would love to find a short cut to hours of sanding.
          Bob

Comment

tumbler work and a final buff but never in one day
            maybe 2-3 days

Comment

where do you get a tumbler? How much are they?

Comment

http://www.caswellplating.com/buffs/...y_tumblers.htm

SS

Comment

If you were going to try this tumbler method, which media would cut good enough to take rough casting bumps like what that manifold had off?

Comment

The coarse ceramics. I don't know what degree of roughness they will take out. May need to rough out with cartridge rolls and flat pads first.
                    SS

Comment

Yea, I was afraid it would still take cartridge rolls first. I wouldn't mind smoothing the mold lines out first but it would be nice not to have to sand out all of the texture. I'll call Caswell on Monday but I'm not sure they'll have any experience with how much their media will actually cut. Does anyone know of a company that sells ceramic media and also uses it? I'd still like to buy here, but I'd like to at least pick someone's brain that has done this. I plan to build a 55 gal. vibratory polisher after the first of the year to polish ceramic coat and it would be a bonus to change tanks/media and be able to polish aluminum as well.

Comment

Originally posted by chromeitout
                        I plan to build a 55 gal. vibratory polisher after the first of the year to polish ceramic coat and it would be a bonus to change tanks/media and be able to polish aluminum as well.
                        I was thinking about building one myself, as I want a fairly large one but wasn't sure as to the mechanics of them (as I have never seen one always polished by polisher or hand) got any ideas as to how to start.

Comment

Working...
                        X