Lets see some polishing resluts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lets see some polishing resluts.

Like the title says lets see some pic's of your work.
    This is my 85 Sport Coupe that I have nearly fixed up completly.
    http://www.thirdgen.org/rides/rideimages/ACFmIX2CQ.JPG

WOW, Thak looks awesome. You must have alot of time in that. It looks great. I just started to polish some rims of mine but not worth the pics yet.

Good luck.

John

Comment

Mike, guess you did come check out the site. This forum is a little slower than thirdgen.org but you can't beat the prices on buffing wheels. Also, I order the rest of my buffing stuff today, guess I'll be giving it a try later this week.

-Matt
      (ions91z28 from tgo)

Comment

TITLE

Hey this is a clean forum. There won't be any posting of polishing "RESLUTS" LMAO!!!!!

Comment

I know what you mean Matt. Tommorow I am going out to purchase my garage frame, 2 car car port that I am going to put up some walls and concrete it in and I still need to buy everything for my new shop.

SUPRARACER, I only spent a little over 10 hours to do all of that. Year worth of experiance at S & P helped alot.

Comment

Looks like a great job, but only 10 hours??
            Awhh, get real,
            Surely you do jest, or are you serious?

I would think the time to plate the parts would be nearly that long alone unless you have a really serious plating setup. What did you start with?
            Were these stock parts to begin with?

Looks like you did a great job on them.

Chromo

Comment

Yes it really took me 10 hours to polish everything, it was all casted parts. I use to work in the Street & Performance polishing shop for almost a year so I got pretty good doing that almost every day. I did not plate those parts either, fellow member on another message board wanted his setup polished. Once again its not plated chrome. If it was I would have had less polishing to do.

Comment

If thats not chromed, what is the metal, aluminum? If so what did you coat that with to stop oxidation and hold the shine?

I have a firebird I'd like to polish out like that. Do some chrome and gold work on it too. It's a $150 car, needs tranny, but worth rebuilding. Body not bad some dents and dings but no rust, engine good. Makes a great rod to customize.

What did you polish with, and how did you get into those tight corners?

Maybe with your advice I can do in 6 months what you did in 10 hours

Chromo

Comment

All parts are aluminum and to keep them from oxidizing you need to clean them with some eagle one aluminum polish once a week to keep the shine. This is basically what I used when I use to polish at my frineds shop. I use a air powered die grinder with 120,320 grit sanding rolls and tapered rolls. A da sander with 120,320 grit glue on back sanding disks. I used a bench grinder 3/4 horse I think. Then a 6" sisal polsihing wheel with black grease, then onto a 6" cloth sewn wheel with tripoli grease, and finaly finishing it off with a 6" loose buff. Hopefully soon I will have my own polishing shop up and running.

Comment

Hmmm,

I could put the time into the polishing and hopfully get some decent results, but polishing/cleaning once a week! Don't think I could do that.

I think I saw something about a sealer of some type to prevent polished aluminum from oxidizing on the caswell site somewhere.

Or maybe it was a clear laquer coat?
                    Have you tried anything to seal the parts?

For my area of the country and no more than I'd use the car I'd need more of a seldom touch finish. Like hose off the road dust regularly and clean well every couple months. Unfortunatly aluminum does oxidize rather your using it or not, and I wouldn't be using it much.

I live on a dirt road in a very humid area.

I geuss if I couldn't seal it to hold the shine I would need to go with anodized, I don't think it oxidizes.

Chromo

Comment

I was reading old posts and found out some info about vht paints. Looks like the next time I polish them back up I will paint them with the clear vht paint. It says its suppose to stop oxidation http://www.caswellplating.com/vht/vhtclear.htm

Comment

Maybe that's what I was looking at too then.

Chromo

Comment

Originally posted by chromo

I geuss if I couldn't seal it to hold the shine I would need to go with anodized, I don't think it oxidizes.

Chromo
                          Anodize is aluminum oxide.

You could wax the part instead of clear coating. It should hold up for a month or two with wax in between polishings.

Comment

Working...
                          X