Polishing aluminum motorcycle wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polishing aluminum motorcycle wheels

I started about 2 weeks ago polishing everything that I could on my motorcycle,first few days I used sandpaper 100 grit all the way to 2000 grit then onto 10,000 grit wool,finishing with a polishing kit from dremel which came with felt bobs,wheels and rouge,to do 1 side of the wheel it took me about 20 hours,had to be a better way so I found this site ,bought 8 sisal wheels,6 spiral,4 loose cotton,120 grit greaseless, black compound,brown compound,white compound,assorted bobs,finally get my shipment and start with coating a sisal wheel with 120 greaseless,let it dry as per instructions, and go to work, its taking longer to remove casting pits and marks with wheels then if I were to do it by hand,am I doing something wrong I am using 6" Wheels on a 19.2 volt cordless 1/2" porter cable drill,I do own a 1 H.P. variable speed grinder but it would be difficult to hold the wheel up to it for so long.any assistance would be greatly appreciated Thank U

Also tried using spiral wheel on a 10,000 rpm hand held die grinder,seems to work better than Sisal wheel with greaseless,but with having to frequently re-apply greaseless and wait for it to dry,its still faster by hand

Comment

Take your wheels to a polishing shop.

Comment

For me, no matter how much frustration and learning it takes to do something myself, it's always worth it in the end. Also, I don't have the money to pay someone to do everything for me. Plus once I've got it down, I hope to make some money doing it for others.

Comment

I believe emery is the equivelent of about 650 grit wetsand, so it would not be practical to take deep pits out with it. The greaseless should work better on a spiral sewn wheel than it will on the sisal. Just line up several coated wheels at a time so you don't have to continually stop to recoat. I prefer to skip emory and just wetsand with 600 grit. I find it to be less messy than the emery compounds.

Comment

Thanks Marsfrogie for the info,guess I will have to go back to sand paper till i get to brown compound,Was looking for a quick alternative but I guess anyway you do it its going to take a while.
            As for your reply DanMan there are 2 factors as to why I dont take it to a shop #1 being that the average price per wheel where I live is 650 dollars.#2 while waiting for supplies to arrive from Caswell I polished my forks,triple tree,brake calipers,foot peg brackets,bar ends,sub frame,exhaust slip on,and swing arm to a better shine that any shop here will turn out,the quality of shop work looks great at night and normal light but put a bright light to it and it looks horrible.
            Also if anyone knows what grit white compound is I would be much appreciative,kinda pointless to sand all the way to 10,000 grit if compound is say 2000.
            Thanks in Advance.

Comment

Pretty much pointless to wetsand past 600. Just use the brown after 600 and then the white.

Comment

I used 2 inch hookit discs from 3m on a drill with 320 grit. Worked great to smooth out the surface to prep for polishing. Stupid question....Did you strip the paint first? Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                X