Sanding....what do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sanding....what do you use?

I was thinking of getting a 6" DA sander as I plan on doing some bike frames in the future, and wondered where people get their supplies from? (As Caswell does not carry DA paper) I just ordered about 150$ worth of buffing supplies from here, now looking for some prep work materials.

I figured 6" 320, 400 & 600 disc grits would be a good start, and wanted to get the Velcro backed, as it's easy to change, and also compatible with a mouse sander I also have.

Re: Sanding....what do you use?

Well, I found a place that has good pricing for 5", no hole disks (220 threw 600 grit) a 50 pack is around 12-14$ for Velcro backed, so I may just get an orbital electric sander instead of the DA sander.....unless there is a reason I should go 6" DA over 5" Orbital.....

Comment

y2kgtp,

A 5" or 6" sander would be your option. I would be concerned about getting into the inside corners. Might want to pick up a "mouse" sander for that. Also consider the greaseless compound. I wouldn't get any finer sandpaper that 400 grit, the Emory compound on a sewn wheel will buff that out in most cases. Most auto parts stores will carry sanding disks.

John

Comment

Originally posted by jrow
        y2kgtp,

A 5" or 6" sander would be your option. I would be concerned about getting into the inside corners. Might want to pick up a "mouse" sander for that. Also consider the greaseless compound. I wouldn't get any finer sandpaper that 400 grit, the Emory compound on a sewn wheel will buff that out in most cases. Most auto parts stores will carry sanding disks.

John
        I have a mouse sander as well, that is why I wanted the hook & loop (Velcro) pads, so I can use the paper with that as well. I also have one of those little detail sanders with all the concave ends, so I prob can get into just about any corner.

My next project is going to be a sportbike frame, likely a older 900RR, so will have very little to take to a freestanding buffer, almost all of the work will have to be done at the bike itself....

Comment

I use PSA (press-on self adhesive) disks on the DA. You can get them at any automotive paint supplier and even online. Google "psa sanding disks". HF carries Carborundum brand but I haven't had much luck with their 80 grit. (All I've tried from HF) They don't last like Norton or Mirka and they almost never come off in one piece, even powdered--PITA.

Comment

I have a Chicago Pneumatic 7201P Air Polisher. Not the sander. The polisher. It turns 2500 rpm. Perfect for sanding before buffing. I use 3 inch hook-it Merka disks, with a little WD-40 on them. A worn out 400 grit disk gets the metal ready for the emery.
            If I had to choose one tool as my all time favorite, this is it.

Richard
            Attached Files

Comment

I am looking at Mirka Q-silver 5" Velcro disks to order now. The shop tells me these are good for wet sanding, and they will also fit my mouse sander.

I think I will get an air & also an electric 5" sander, this way I can do some work later at night if needed, as my compressor is fairly loud when running.

Comment

I ordered Mirka Q-silver 5" in 220, 320, 400 & 600 grits....I figured these would be good for an orbital sander (which I got from Menard's) and also my mouse sander as they both use Velcro for attaching to the sander.

Speaking of tools, I also found a 15$ tool shop Power drill that was rated at 3000rpm & 2/3HP. Not sure of the true specifications, but it is definitely faster & stronger than my 2500rpm drill. I can use a 6" sisal without any bogging at all.

Comment

real tight corners that are in rough shape -> dynabrade dynafile.
                  Len
                  Figure Finishing
                  www.FigureEngineering.com
                  866-900-4949

Comment

Originally posted by FigureLLC
                    real tight corners that are in rough shape -> dynabrade dynafile.
                    Is this like a mini belt sander? I think I saw something at HarborFreight for 24$ on sale a week, or so ago...

Comment

yup. guys at the place i used to work would clean up weld spatter and whatnot in corners before paint with those. it'd have been way too tedious with a DA.
                      Len
                      Figure Finishing
                      www.FigureEngineering.com
                      866-900-4949

Comment

Originally posted by y2kgtp View Post
                        Is this like a mini belt sander? I think I saw something at HarborFreight for 24$ on sale a week, or so ago...

If you get one of those to use on aluminum make sure it's variable speed or get a speed controller for it. Real easy for the edges to gouge the metal when it's running fast.

Comment

Working...
                        X