Buffer Quick Change System

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buffer Quick Change System

What options are available for changing wheels quickly?
    Len
    Figure Finishing
    www.FigureEngineering.com
    866-900-4949

Re: Buffer Quick Change System

Only way I know is the tapered threaded shafts. Advantage is quick change, plus they fit a variety of hole sizes - disadvantage is the pointy end that sticks out past the wheel and gets in the way.

Comment

Originally posted by mpierich
      Only way I know is the tapered threaded shafts.
      I had seen these, but I often stack 2 or 3 wheels, so I thought the taper might make it difficult to secure the last wheel on the stack. I.e. if the first wheel installed is tight on the taper, the third wouldn't be able to seat fully.
      Len
      Figure Finishing
      866-900-4949

Comment

Do you have to switch back and forth alot? I would not think the 1 bolt takes that long to remove to swap the wheel.......

Comment

you use hose QDs? changing a hose connection only requires one bolt, but its still a pain and wastes time. customers aren't paying us to twist a nut. and if that's not a good reason, i just find it annoying. plus everytime a wheel stack is removed and re-installed, the wheels come out of balance which causes some minor problems until they wear back into round and again is annoying.

anyone use a keyless drill chuck? wheel stacks would remain mounted on a shank, so the stack and shank would be swapped. no tools, wheels remain balanced, fast, inexpensive mod...
          Len
          Figure Finishing
          866-900-4949

Comment

Originally posted by FigureLLC
            I had seen these, but I often stack 2 or 3 wheels, so I thought the taper might make it difficult to secure the last wheel on the stack. I.e. if the first wheel installed is tight on the taper, the third wouldn't be able to seat fully.
            So if you keep your stacks together, make each set up with a few different sized holes...

Comment

FigureLLC,

If your that concerned about wasting time changing buffing wheels, why not use more that one buffing machine?

John

Comment

Originally posted by jrow
                FigureLLC,

If your that concerned about wasting time changing buffing wheels, why not use more that one buffing machine?

John
                Good suggestion.....now you have 4 different wheels to use with a 2nd buffer

Comment

Originally posted by jrow
                  FigureLLC,

John
                  multiple buffers is something we're still considering. i don't like the wasted space, and with the power i want, it'd get very expensive. so right now i think my best solution is to build a buffer. one shaft with a quick change system. and i'd like it to pivot out of the way when not in use so we can use the booth for other things without wrestling or working around the buffer(s).
                  Len
                  Figure Finishing
                  866-900-4949

Comment

Originally posted by FigureLLC
                    multiple buffers is something we're still considering. i don't like the wasted space, and with the power i want, it'd get very expensive. so right now i think my best solution is to build a buffer. one shaft with a quick change system. and i'd like it to pivot out of the way when not in use so we can use the booth for other things without wrestling or working around the buffer(s).
                    Well as far as expense, you could run any number of shafts off of one motor with belts and jackshafts - use loose belts with levered idler pulleys for clutches. But if your space is limited that would prolly not be for you.

Comment

i'm embarassed to admit i didn't think of that. i'll be tossing this idea around. could work well.
                      Len
                      Figure Finishing
                      866-900-4949

Comment

"Well as far as expense, you could run any number of shafts off of one motor with belts and jackshafts - use loose belts with levered idler pulleys for clutches. But if your space is limited that would prolly not be for you."

This might be a great idea but a little tricky to build, have you ever seen those flip over bench table tops for mounting several tools to a bench?
                        Use the table saw now, later pull a pin and flip over top to use the router table that was stored under neath.

If you built say a 3 sided top you could use one motor to run 3 jack shafts as was suggested with a simple lever pull to run or stop them as needed. Simply flip top over to the wheels you want to run and go. Everything is always mounted ready for use this way.

I'm sure a simple good design could be figured out for the idea, I have not thought enough about it to have one yet, just the basic idea. Built right it should not take up much more space than a single buffer would. The wheels not in use should be up or to the rear and out of the way when working. And your still using the same amount of work area around 1 buffer.

Comment

Originally posted by chromo View Post
                          "Well as far as expense, you could run any number of shafts off of one motor with belts and jackshafts - use loose belts with levered idler pulleys for clutches. But if your space is limited that would prolly not be for you."

This might be a great idea but a little tricky to build, have you ever seen those flip over bench table tops for mounting several tools to a bench?
                          Use the table saw now, later pull a pin and flip over top to use the router table that was stored under neath.

If you built say a 3 sided top you could use one motor to run 3 jack shafts as was suggested with a simple lever pull to run or stop them as needed. Simply flip top over to the wheels you want to run and go. Everything is always mounted ready for use this way.

I'm sure a simple good design could be figured out for the idea, I have not thought enough about it to have one yet, just the basic idea. Built right it should not take up much more space than a single buffer would. The wheels not in use should be up or to the rear and out of the way when working. And your still using the same amount of work area around 1 buffer.
                          The flipping (haha) tabletop would be tougher for me to build than the jackshafts...but what about a turntable on an industrial-strength lazy susan? I built my wife a 6" Dobsonian reflector telescope and used masonite for the base, which rides on those little teflon discs you can buy for the bottoms of chair legs and such. Works real smoothly.

Comment

The lazy susan seems like a nice idea for 2 buffers, one behind the other. Either could be run from same motor and the extra one not in the way at all. I think a problem might be the rotation of the wheels unless you use a reversible motor.
                            Looking from the side, if the motor is centered between a left buffer and right buffer, motor CW rotation both wheels rotate CW, BUT the work side of right side buffer rotates DOWN and correct, the left side buffer would rotate UP and wrong and that would be a problem. When you rotate the table you also rotate the motor so you still have the problem of rotation you just change which side is wrong.
                            With a flip over table the wheel your using should always be rotating the correct direction, plus you could use more than 2 jack shafts on the same motor, just build more sides for the table like 3, 4, 6, so long as they do not get int the way of the buffer.

Comment

Here's another Idea I may build here myself, better and easier than the flip over!
                              Universel tool stand.

A Reese style trailer hitch uses 1 pin to hold the hitch and receiver together, that pin pulls and stops up to a 10,000lb load under all conditions! It also carries over a 500lb toung load on the hitch. Simple fast slide together assembly!

So a simple table for each jack shaft tool with a slide in mount under it. Build the stand or table solid as normal or use a steel 4"X4" tubing, place the other half of the hitch part on the front of the stand. Just slide on the buffer you want and put in the pin to hold it in place.

The motor I would mount solid on the back side of the stand on top and use a friction drive wheel to run the jack shaft. Use a flat pulley on motor and jack shaft, like used for serpentine belts on cars. Use a good solid small rubber wheel as a drive wheel, put it on an arm, lower it to contact both pulleys and lock in place. Ever look at Carnival rides close, just a few rubber tires running against a giant flat pulley/rim is what runs many of them like a Ferris Wheel. Should run a buffer fine also

To store unused tables you could have a simple post running up a wall and slide in the tables not being used same as you would on the stand.

Now not needing anything as strong as a Reese hitch really, build it from steel tubing, maybe 3"x3" to slide into a 4"x4", just guessing and have to see what fits what but that's the idea.

If I build this for myself, I plan to build the stand from large square tubing also. Mount solid to floor just a post standing up. Use same slide and pin together idea on the top so I can mount other items than just a buffer onto the same post.

I could weld a 3"X3" to the bottom of my metal former, drop and pin into the 4"x4" post. Better setup than locking it in a vise which is how it's built to work.
                              Make T top for the buffer with motor permantly attached, drop in place and pin.
                              Tables for my other table top tools also, router table, table saw, drill press, etc... and even my small anvil.
                              1 stand and work area for many tools! I myself don't often need things like router table and drill press at same time anyway but I waste space having a work area for each all the time they are not being used.
                              With a quick change unit like this it would be simple to add a second or third post anytime if I wanted to use more tools at the same time and any tool could be used on any post.

As for being portable, your tools are ready to use anywhere you can put a standing post this way.
                              Mount a post in a trailer or truck bed and your ready to do shows and events. I might get the use of another property soon, if so just mount a post and my tools would be ready to use if I decide to work there at times, and easy to carry a few table tops back and forth as needed.

Comment

Working...
                              X