Where to find garage floor stud kits?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to find garage floor stud kits?

I recently rented a garage for hobby work. The owner wants me to use garage floor studs when setting up stands, e.g. grinder stand. He does not want me to just use masonry screws. I can't seem to find a supplier of the studs, or are they called something else?

Re: Where to find garage floor stud kits?

You can get stud sets at Lowe's or Home Depot. You'll need an impact drill and masonry bits to drill holes for the lugs into the concrete. I can't see what the difference is in using studs or bolts. They're both going to expand the lug into the hole. Just a matter of using a bolt or a nut to secure the machinery down. Seems like they used to have a brand named Red Head or such.

Comment

Re: Where to find garage floor stud kits?

The owner may be referring to masonry block screws. These are similar to the long deck screws but harder. They usually break when you try to remove them. They also place holding power to a small area of the concrete. Studs and concrete bolts (lag screws) on the other hand use a device that spreads (in a drilled hole) as a fastener to the concrete. These can be removed or covered with ease. In any case, holes need to be drilled in the concrete. You may not need a hammer-drill but you'll for sure need a masonry drill bit. These have carbide tips that do the cutting.

As already stated, all the necessary items are available at hardware and home centers. Look in the fastener section for the studs/lags and the tool section for the masonry bits.

Comment

Working...
      X