MetalX B-9 Agitation?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MetalX B-9 Agitation?

Hi, first post. I’m happy to have the opportunity be here and learn from all this great information. I've searched and not found the answers to a couple of questions.

I need to remove nickel plating from a S&W revolver part. It is of recent manufacture. Am I going to find copper under the nickel plating? Will I need a copper stripping solution in addition to nickel?

I plan to order the Metal X B-9. I see that it requires agitation…does this require a pump or is there some other way to do this? I know the product will come with instructions but I’d like to get all my “stuff” at one time if possible. Thanks!

Re: MetalX B-9 Agitation?

There will not be any copper under the nickel. A pump will work so will an air compressor. You'll also need a heater.

Comment

Thank you!

I have the heater and compressor. I'll order the B-9 and have a go at it.

Happy new year!
      Don

Comment

1/2" pvc works pretty good for air agitation, use it to make the shape of the bottom of your tank, on one end come up and out of the bath with a straight piece, connect your airline to that. Drill a bunch of 1/8" holes in the pvc that sits in the bath. If you use an inline oiler for your tools get a new air hose, it's only a stripping bath but you still don't want the oil in it.

Comment

Should the air bubbles act directly on my part or should the air bubbles generally stay away from the part? In other words is the agitation needed accelerate the stripping by acting on the part, or is it to keep things in solution?

Thanks again,
          Don

Comment

Not sure, I'd say the agitation helps in the stripping process so I'd want heavy agitation directed at the part. I haven't used the Caswell stripper so I can't tell you for sure but remember agitation causes fumes to be released, be aware you may need a mask or may need to do it outside. Agitation in a plating bath stops or helps to greatly cut down hydrogen bubbles that forms on the surface you are plating.

Comment

if you are only doing this one item you can use manual agitation-ie-move it around by hand, if you are doing more then use air with pvc already mentioned, the agitation is only to keep the soultion moving
              http://home.comcast.net/~jhodges87/wsb/index.html

Comment

Working...
              X