No announcement yet.

How can i get a clean 45 degree joint after welding brushed stainless tubing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can i get a clean 45 degree joint after welding brushed stainless tubing

I need to join by TIG weld two sections of 2"X2" #4 brushed stainless steel at a 45 degree angle. The problem is after i weld the joint and remove the weld along the 45 the brushed finish is removed. When i try to re-set the grain with 80 grit paper and a scotch brite i can never get a clean line where the two grains intersect at the 45. How can a get a clean line where the two grains intersect, and what tools could help?

Ive been trying to solve this problem for my bench design for months, please help!!
    Attached Files

Re: How can i get a clean 45 degree joint after welding brushed stainless tubing

Have you tried a tape like this. . Digi-Key - 3M5613-ND (Manufacturer - 425-1"X60YD-BULK)

I have used it to protect cabinetry when polishing marble and granite in place. It worked well but I was not using anything as aggressive as you are. If you have not tried it yet it might be a solution.

Comment

Re: How can i get a clean 45 degree joint after welding brushed stainless tubing

i would make a wooden jig, lay your frames on a piece of plywood, and cut and screw pieces perpendicular to the base ply so that your u shaped stainless frame is encapsulated on both sides with ply, with the ply rising 10mm or so above the now top face. then sand with a diamond wetstone (of the relavent grit) glued to a noce solid piece of metal and machined at one end to 45 degrees and the thickness of your frames, the wooden jig will stop the stone from wandering off a straight line , and the 45 degree cut on the stone will give you your join line.
      your wetstone will need to be machined at an angle rather than just cut as you want a nice crisp end

i hope this all makes sense
      "A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.
      Custom Anodising

Comment

Working...
      X