How Good is Black Oxide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Good is Black Oxide

I have a lot of experience with Hot Black Oxide. Specifically with Dulite brand blueing salts. Does anyone know how Caswell Black Oxide compares with Dulite salts?

Bryce

Black oxide

Wonderful question! I currently hot blue guns using oxy7 i have been
    for 10years or so.I am also interested in the caswell black oxide.
    I to would like to find the durability of this product ?

Comment

I bought the small kit from Caswell but haven't had an opportunity to use it yet. As soon as I do I'll post the results.

Bryce

Comment

black oxide

Thanks i will be watching.

Comment

black oxide

So far it seems that it won't get black enough to be acceptable as a mainstream gun blue-am trying to access tech support for ideas on how to get it blacker but page keeps being unavailable. The color I'm getting is grey black, not a deep black. It does seem to be durable-if the color would just be black it would be great.

Comment

dose any one know if this can be used on alum?

Comment

No oxide process will work on aluminum, not chemically compatible.

BTW, I also use Oxyanate #7 on carbon steel firearms. The process is complicated and the operating temperature is critical, but the results are truly outstanding. Definitely firearms quality blueing.

Comment

Where can I buy this Oxyanate #7? I did a search on the net and found nothing.

Comment

www.brownells.com

Comment

Caswell Black Oxide

We use the Black Oxide finish and are very pleased with the results.

There is no smut problem like the cold blue products made by Birchwood, and the color is a beautiful deep black.

We take great care in not getting any contamination of the surfaces of the parts then heat them to about 125 - 150 degrees prior to blackening.

http://www.shopdawg.com/products/SD1009.html

KL Bohn
                    Shopdawg.com
                    SHOPDAWG.COM
                    Unique accessories for mini machine tools
                    www.shopdawg.com

Comment

Working...
                    X